Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help.....authenticity of a Rolex?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39716-help-authenticity-rolex.html)

AttitudeAdjusta 12-27-2002 04:25 PM

Luxy60, Have we ever meet at the NASWA?

bobby daniels 12-27-2002 04:47 PM

CALL OR LOOK UP GRAY AND SONS ON THE NET ,THEIR ALWAYS AT THE MIAMI BOAT SHOW AND HONEST PEOPLE .
THE SECOND HAND IS SMOOTH AND THE SERIAL NUMBER IS UNDER BAND BRACKETS AND NEWER ONES ARE SOILID 18K OLDER ARE 14 K . ,BEST IS TO TAKE APART AND JEWELER SHOULD NOT KEEP PERIOD IF SERIAL NUMBER IS NOT SCRATCHED OFF UNDER BAND ,PM ME IF NEED MORE HELP
I HAVE A NEW TWO TONE DAYTONA FOR SALE WITH ALL PAPERS ECT AND GREEN STICKER
THANKS

Havasu Cig 12-27-2002 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Luxy60
All newer watches come with a green sticker on the back of the case with the Rolex emblem and a model number. I've worn mine every day for the last 4 years and the sticker is still there. The movement is not a totally smooth sweep, there is a perceptable dwell but it's very subtle. The mechical movement and case are very heavy and usually there is a big difference between the weight of a knockoff (quartz movement) and the real thing.
I agree...I have not seen a knockoff that I could not tell the difference between it and my Rolex.

AttitudeAdjusta 12-27-2002 05:14 PM

My green sticker wore off and my wifes fell off. Both were bought from repuatable dealers. Both 2002 Yacht masters and both seem to "tick" about 3 times per second it's not totaly a smooth sweep.

Ryan Beckley 12-27-2002 05:29 PM

I just bought two in NYC from a guy on the corner with the sweeping hands and the sticker, YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT TO A DEALER to tell if you are buying the real deal. I've got a TAG that three jewelry stores have said was real that I also bought there in Sept.

mcollinstn 12-27-2002 07:49 PM

The "tick" is either three or four times per second (I get dizzy trying to count).

The Rolex S/N is chemically etched in black on the side of the case and is visible if you remove the band.

Green sticker stays on well if the watch is worn as an occasional watch, but will come off if the watch is worn daily. Also, the sticker must be removed for engraving.

Rolex gold is solid on all parts except the band trim pieces that go between the band links and the case itself (those are thickly plated on 2-tone watches).

1989-ish and older oyster perpetuals have plastic crystals. Newer ones have mineral crystals (I think all Submariners are mineral but not sure).

A dealer will have no trouble determining whether it is real or not, but should remove the back to verify the movement.

good luck

bajadude 12-27-2002 08:06 PM

My green sticker wore off too. If in doubt, I agree about removing the back.

Luxy60 12-27-2002 08:11 PM

Attitude, not that I can recall but I've spent plenty of time (& money) there over the years. We keep the boat at Channel Marine.

AttitudeAdjusta 12-27-2002 08:22 PM

BD, must be the water:D Luxy60 We have the yellow 35 Sonic,last year is the first year we haven't stayed at the NASWA every weekend since the end of"99'. What are you running?

ALFSTER 12-27-2002 08:27 PM

I HAVENT SEEN TO MANY FAKE ONES UP CLOSE,MINE THE SECOND DOES SWEEP,IT ALSO HAS MY NAME ENGRAVED ON THE BACK ALONG WITH A SERIAL # THAT ANY ROLEX DEALER CAN TELL IF IT IS AN ORIGINAL