Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Checking hitch after getting rear-ended >

Checking hitch after getting rear-ended

Notices

Checking hitch after getting rear-ended

Old 12-27-2002, 02:35 PM
Intolerant1

Default Checking hitch after getting rear-ended

My wife got rear ended this morning. Very slow and the ball was on the truck so only the ball and attachmet got hit. No apparent damage. Poked a nice hole in the front bumper of the other car. Wife said it looked like plastic damage only. Just wondering if the other parties insurance will pay to have it checked if there is no damage. I cant get under there myself so Ill have it checked either way, just dont want to pay for it! Anyone else been through this?

Damn glad I had the ball in there or I would be looking at alot more damage. Someone should make a reciever with a flat steel plate on it for protection when not towing.

Old 12-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was a slow impact like your wife says, I don't think I'd be too worried about it. Probably not much more stress was put on it than a good hard emergency stop when towing. But I'm sure if you took it to a hitch place (where it was installed??) they would check it for nothing.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

"Someone should make a reciever with a flat steel plate on it for protection when not towing."

Didn't they call that a bumper long ago?
Old 12-27-2002, 02:55 PM
Intolerant1

Originally posted by Raypanic
"Someone should make a reciever with a flat steel plate on it for protection when not towing."

Didn't they call that a bumper long ago?

Yes, long ago. But it has been replaced with a piece of chromed tin. Have you ever picked up a truck bumper. They weigh nothing. You would think it was carbon fiber.

Old 12-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should be fine, but like Mike said, the installer would be able to look it over.
I like the tri-ball on mine. Had a honda something hit me in hte arse last year. By the time the police unhooked the two there has not much left of the front end
Old 12-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Registered

I have a hitch on the front of my truck for pushing the boat up my driveway and keep the hitch on both the front and back at all times. This has saved my truck from damage in the past, and has caused significant damage to the other vehicles that have hit me as well.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

They make a little nerf bar that goes into your receiver when not towing. It looks kinda trick.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also keep my reciever in at all times. I have gotten rear-ended with it in as well... I pulled ahead after getting hit to move from the traffc lane, and tore the other guys bumper off!.... He was PISSED that it happened, and was yelling at the police to try and make ME pay for it. They just looked at him and said "well you did rear-end HIM you know"... Man if looks could kill.....
Old 12-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Intolerant1

Im going to pull the pin when she gets home and see what it looks like. If the pin shows no damage then I'm not to concerned. Just dont want to be going down the highway and have my wife say "Hey, that boat going by looks just like ours!"

Old 12-27-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered

It will most likely be ok, but if it was my hitch I would replace the ball, just to cheap to take a chance!!!!!!
Mark

Quick Reply: Checking hitch after getting rear-ended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.