If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Gold Member Gold Member
    My Boats:
    Phantom 25 (1985) w/Verado 400R

To notch or not to notch?

I have a Phantom 25 offshore hull with a Promax 300. It runs relative wet and need a lot of positive trim .Top speed 78 mph in spring spinning a Tempest 26 at 6.150 rpms. In summer 76 mph at 6.050 rpms.

Currently I run 7,5 inches setback. I have tried 12 inches of setback. The boat was faster, but tailheavy in high seas (despite trimtank in front). Best overall result has been 7,5 inches setback - CMC powerlift + spacers.

When I ran 12 inches I used a seperate stainless steel bracket + the CMC powerlift. Weight in all 170 lbs... in steel.

The boat is a 1985 model and has a classic 24 degree V bottom without a notch. The new 24 feet version has a notched transom of 4-5 inches deep. I consider to cut out a notched transom on the old Phantom. What do you think about this? Then I get easier bowlift without adding extra weight aft. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers and thanks, Toffen -Norway

Gold Member Gold Member
    My Boats:
    Phantom 25 (1985) w/Verado 400R

Notch vs not notch?

Hi Catmando!

Too much work. Looking forward to the summer. Dreaming about my new second hand Skater 28 w/twin 2.5 Offshore Races engines ready for 2004... A lot of work to do in 2003 on this one. I has to be rerigged completely, but look forward to the day she is on water ready for 115 mph runs!

Meanwhile, I may buy a new Promax 300X or a drop on 300X powerhead from MADEFI pulling 350 HP. This and some mods to the bottom of the ol' Phantom should make 83-85 mph possible...

What do you think about the notch transom idea?

Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1

go back to the 12" setback and add a fin to the ventilation plate on the motor. you'll get your speed and can fly level with the plate. you can try a commercial plastic one (like a stingray) or go with a custom aluminum plate.

I ran 9" setback on a 16' with a notched transom and couldn't get decent cruise attitude till I added the fin. Course I didnt run it in real big water either.

Just a cheap and easy thing to try before you go to chainsawing the running surface of your boat.
    I see London, I see France...