Notices

title problems

Old 12-30-2002, 06:44 PM
Dustyn

Default title problems

I will be the first to admit I made a BIG MISTAKE.
In Feb. 2002 I bought a 1975 cigarette project boat from a guy in Texas, I live in Oklahoma. I still to this day have not received title. I have spoke with him over 20 times and he still says it's in the mail. Is this not fraud? Can't I bring criminal charges against this guy? Also can I just sue him for the price of the boat or the amount I currently have invested?

Dustyn

Old 12-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man that sucks. Happened to me. I registered the boat in a state that did not require a title. NH and Maine both worked for me. Good luck

Jon
Old 12-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you need to is, Is there numbers on the boat , if there is call that state and find out who is the registerd owner , also have the HIN Hull ID number to confurm this also, If the person last regesterd is not the person you bought it from you may have some real problems. Rember you do not own that boat in the eyes of the law untill it is regesterd to you. Once you have established who is the last regesterd owner, Contact him (hopefull the person you bought it from) and if it is tell him that you have contacted ( ie. DNR) That s what it is in Maryland, and they told you to contact him 1 more time to surrender title or crimnal charges will be brought aginst him. If the person that the state says is last reg. owner is not the person you bought it from , Then you have a few options, If he really bought it he never paid taxes on it and you could try and scare him with that, That is called (Title Jumping) and usuall has heavy fines and they will charge a penality like 1.2% a month . but if never paid the person he bought it from , that person can take the boat from you, Then you will have to deal with the person whom you bought it from to get youer money back and you will have no collatrel. Make sure when ever you buy anything that you see ( PROOF OF OWNERSHIP) and if it has a lein and how much is owed.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:22 PM
BMAC13

You may want to make a call to an attorney in Texas and see what your options are. He should not charge you more than $100 or $150 to give you the info you need and then you can decide what to do. He may even may a call or write a letter for you that will get the guy to sned your title.

As far as suing the guy, Texas is a tough state. It is expensive to get a judgement because everyone wants a fee and the process is dragged out. Then after you have your judgement, unless the guy owns property you can place a lien against its tough to collect, there are no garnishments in texas, which is usually how you have to collect your money. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I would go to the DMV and request a duplicate title, with that get the required signatures and register it.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Tell them you lost the title before you could register it in your name, if you have a bill of sale it would support your story.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Audiofn
Oh man that sucks. Happened to me. I registered the boat in a state that did not require a title. NH and Maine both worked for me. Good luck

Jon
But that can come back and haunt you, I take youre boat and reg. it in in a no title state and you come back from vacation and see me using it I will go to jail (federal). You will have to have a BILL OF SALE from last (LEGAL) reg. owner. and noterized.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered

You have to be the owner to get a DUP title
Old 12-30-2002, 08:18 PM
Apache22

he prob. used the title as security on a loan and didn't pay it off with your cash and now he can't get the title, good luck nothing that 3 years and a attorney can't straighten out

Old 12-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dustyn

just get a hold of someone to do a title 42 , they will check and see if leins are against it , if so have a mech do a receipt for work . and they will send it to ant lien holders and if they pay for it they can have it back. i to bought a boat out of texas took 6 months and several phone calls to finally get it.

Quick Reply: title problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.