Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: Texas New Home Concerns?? >

OT: Texas New Home Concerns??

Notices

OT: Texas New Home Concerns??

Old 01-01-2003, 10:18 PM
OutlawBayB

Question OT: Texas New Home Concerns??

Looking to get any info regarding several home builders here in Houston, Texas. We are considering a couple different builders, but would like to get some opinions related to quality / workmanship / defects of any newer home purchased w/in the last couple of years.

Trying to get any info prior to possibly getting HADD

www.hadd.com

any input appreciated

Old 01-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you're looking to build, but if it's a larger "high end" type home, PM me and I'll get you some contact info on someone I know. He's an independant builder that is doing awesome work now. But what he's bulding now are pretty high dollar homes; at least in my book $1mil range homes are high $$$.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:46 AM
Registered

pulte is a big national name. i see them in houston quite a bit. mr. pulte and his family have summer homes in MI in the same neighborhood i do. i know the family and their work. they perform a lot of warranty work. they build in bulk... entire subdivisions.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Cool Tryed to E-mail you to no avail.

We lived in Cypress, (near 249 & FM1960)
Our house was $250k 5 years ago, builder
was great, also know others in that area.
Where in Houston area?? Watch the MUDDs!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Registered

I was sentenced to, sorry, I meant to say that I lived in Houston a few years ago. Some friends had a home built by David Weekley (sp?). They liked it and never had any problems in the time they owned it...
Old 01-02-2003, 10:45 AM
OutlawBayB

We are considering Kimball Hill, Legacy & David Weekly at this time. Legacy & Weekly will build out a garage for our boat $8k vs $12k (legacy). But there's a lot of bad press @ Weekly & Kimball HIll (no garage). Was hoping someone had or knew someone that purchased from one of these builders, could give inside info.

dockrocker-I hear that Weekly cuts around a lot of corners. See HADD @ the richardson family, but they'll build the garage for $8k.

DREDGEKING-haven't looked at pulte homes yet, b/c they can't custom build anything. At least in the 'hood we're looking their biggest plan in like 2500-2800 sq ft. I'd like something a little bit bigger.

KITTEN-what are MUDDS??

Old 01-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

All of the builders listed are going to cut a few corners, if you want a nice product, I would look for a small independant custom builder,that the owner will actually be working directly with you. You will spend more money this way, but your happiness and resale value will make it worth while P.S. to bad I am so far from you guys, we do a lot of 1- 4 acre lots with custom shops and other stuff
Old 01-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Registered

I live in a home built by David Weekly here in Austin.

I was going to suggest them but then I noticed they had some complaints listed on the site you posted (HADD). But if you have them on your short list as one of the builders you would consider then I can say that I have not experienced any of the issues listed on that site. I have personally found David Weekly Homes to be very high quality with excellent attention to detail and interesting architectural details that set them apart from other builders (at least in our area).

I for one would look at a DW home again in the future and would use DW as the standard for others to compare against.

Oh yeah, the MUD advise is good. Check into it, because there is nothing quite like getting taxed for your water twice.

Last edited by chrker; 01-02-2003 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Registered

I am not a DW fan but if you look at how many homes they build you are going to find someone having a problem. In construction there is no such thing as NO problems. It is how the problem is handled what is inportant. DW would not still be around today or as big as they are if they build bad houses.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:38 PM
OutlawBayB

Originally posted by Turbojack
DW would not still be around today or as big as they are if they build bad houses.
I've done my research on the BBB, every builder has complaints. I have looked at what issues they were regarding & how many were resolved. It's still kind of a toss up.

By the way Jack, do you have any friends that I could hire for subcontract work to build me a garage??????

PM me direct.

Quick Reply: OT: Texas New Home Concerns??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.