Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Family play boats: what kind? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40191-family-play-boats-what-kind.html)

mr_velocity 01-03-2003 02:30 PM

I think it really depends on what you mean play around on. We have a 15' Whaler Rage, jet boat, that is our play boat. We take the dogs and kids out the sand bars and islands to play. The kids are 5 & 7. They love to do stupid things on the boat like hang over the sides as well as ski, tube and swim. I never worry about safety with the jet. Also once on plane we only need about 8" of water so we're able to go where a lot of other boats can't.
Also this year for play I had my buddy's 26' Proline at the house that my son and I used for fishing, we were out 5 days a week when the stripers moved in. It was a lot of fun.
We're having so much fun on the "family" boats that the Velocity is going. It just doesn't get enough use.

later 01-03-2003 02:32 PM

play craft makes a nice tri-toon pontoon they have a neat step
ladder arrangement built into the back of the rgt pontoon you can get them up to 225 outboard and they run very well. and tbones correct the bayliner rendeveouz outboards are a wet ride and they like to stuff, in bigger waves comes rgt over the frt and runs like a river through the boat kind of funny watching the dog and the wife and the kid scrambling.
later
Dave

SummerObsession 01-03-2003 02:52 PM

later: I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Bayliner. I haven't totally lost my mind!!
I will start looking for a playcraft or similar. If someone has one for sale (or trade plus cash I guess...I'm selling my eliminator 28' vee) let me know!

GO4BROKE 01-04-2003 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is our family boat. 1989 17' Galaxy Shooting star open bow, camper and mooring covers, all the extras, only $4k on a trailer! Its nice to cruise the bay when the old people are with us and they don't think yelling over a pair of big blocks is cool:confused: ! I spent maybe $80 on gas for it this summer!

GO4BROKE 01-04-2003 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And when you have a cheap boat, you don't mind letting other people have a chance at the wheel!! Of course we did ruin 2 out of 3 props last summer!

jb 01-04-2003 08:23 AM

goforbroke...come on I saw you in a poker run in that baby. The sonic was left at the doack!

mcollinstn 01-04-2003 08:32 AM

forget a deck boat - in your price range it aint gonna happen. Besides, a toon is the best bang for the buck that there is - period.

Agreed about 3 toons.

I don't think you want I/O for several reasons - 1) they dont turn as far right or left and that matters a whole lot around the docks. Toons arent real responsive and the extra turning angle of an eggbeater really seems to help. 2) Eggbeaters are cheaper. If youre not concerned about fuel economy, get a cheap 2 stroke OB and rock on. For $40 you can get vinyl loaded foam sound insulation to wrap the motor cover in if youre not liking the noise - you aint gotta spend the $$ for a 4 stroker unless you want the gas mileage...

Hardtops are cool, especially with plastic flames that blow in the wind as you scream by. Slides and leaping platforms - cool, too.

Deckboats DO offer "downstairs" bathrooms and under floor storage but they get expensive and start gettig too serious. I think you're more on track with the Deathmobile pontoon concept.

PLUS you could put Drambuie graphics all down the sides.

GO4BROKE 01-04-2003 08:36 AM

JB, actually that little 42mph(speedo) hot rod was used several times while the sonic sat at the dock with missfire or seawater pump problems!!
Its good to have an extra boat !

Bosco 01-04-2003 11:05 AM

go4broke,

She looks a little young for ya!

And I would fire that rigger !

Cant believe I used to sell those things twenty years ago. Do you remember the 21ccr, used to plane in 2 seconds with a 140 4cyl. mercury/alpha and ten people onboard. LOL;)

mcollinstn 01-05-2003 09:48 AM

Oh yeah...

Yes, nitrous works quite well on an outboard.
Best setup is the Nitrox system. Injects N2o AND alcohol. Keeps temperatures down on the piston crowns.

Will make that Force 120 siiiiiiinnnnnng.