Notices

OT- Toyota in Winston Cup

Old 01-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They've been running in the the Goody's Dash Series (NASCAR) for a while. I think Robert Huffman finished 2nd in the series this year in Celica. There was another in the top 10 as well (Brandon Ward?)
Old 01-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota sells more cars in this country than most american car companies. Most of them are also made in america.

I also agree, none of the cars currently raced are even offered for sale to the public with a V8 or rear wheel drive! So, it seems they have significantly strayed from their original formula.

I'll start watching Nascar when they race what they build. With only safety modifications allowed. Let see some front wheel drive v6 action with roll cages and 5 point harnesses.

Any bets on the winner?
Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this whole thing myself when Allan Johnson's team announced they were going to run a toyota body. At first I wanted to puke. Then I looked at a funny car and realized you cant tell the diff between any of them anyway. Who cares?
Running Pro Stock at the time, we were hoping it might bring more interest and $$$$ to our sport. Didn't happen as far as I can tell.
NASCAR is, IMHO a bit different however. The cars are still somewhat recognizable. Does this hurt the sport? I don't know. Someone once told me that most Toyota cars have a larger american made content in them than the big 3 US firms cars. Could be true.
I guess for me, I'm not for it because NASCAR IS and American sport, and we have enough degeneration of AMERICAN values already.
Then again, I never understood driving around in circles for 500 miles looking for the finish line, so what do I care!
Old 01-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve If ole Smokey was still around he could probably get one of the front wheel drive cars to run! And I do agree with the race only what you build mentality.

But what happens is like in the case of the Chrysler Hemi banned or like NHRA overloaded with weight to make it uncompetitive. Because the Ford and Chevy guys were crying (I love chebbys BTW just the facts) the races are won/decided in the office sometimes unfortunately!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Registered

The funny thing about NHRA rules (Pro Stock again..sorry)
Before the latest hemi (which is a wedge, not a true hemi by the way) Pontiac, Ford, Mopar were all the same. Different casting number, but you could basically bolt any of the heads on any block. (with minor mods)
It's basically the same today. You would be shocked at how many parts interchange between brands. I'm sure it will be the similar in other forms of racing.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Summer
I was talking way back in the Sox Martin,Jenkins,Landy days,when the Hemi had them all crying.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Registered

THOSE were the days!! The Grump still builds a killer piece!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:48 PM
RickerTX

Only a hand full of teams have a chance anyway. Let somebody else try to get up to the top ten teams. All the lower 30 teams are just filling out the field anyway. The equipment is only one of the variables involved.

If you have watched NASCAR since the 70's you have seen a drastic change in the way it is run. Hell, Richard Pety and Cale Y would lap the field several times, at some tracks, before the modern day rules made it more competitive. Bring on Toyota, Hundai or any other manufacturer. Just a 190 mph billboard on Sunday afternoon.

My .02

Old 01-07-2003, 09:30 PM
Allan4

Originally posted by bajadude
They've been running in the the Goody's Dash Series (NASCAR) for a while. I think Robert Huffman finished 2nd in the series this year in Celica. There was another in the top 10 as well (Brandon Ward?)
I don't know whether it makes to big a difference, but those Dash cars are 4 bangers and little tiny cars.

Funhome, yes the engine builders build motors for a certain make. Examples,........EEE (Ernie Elliott Engines) built Ford's for years, maybe still does, but now builds many Dodge team's Dodge motors, Robert Yates Racing and Rousch Racing build Ford motors and Rick Hendrick Motorsports and DEI build Chevys (which is a GM hence Pontiac as well)etc......There is a nuasiating ammout of R&D that goes into these cars--chasis, suspensions,motors, trannys, you name it.....This is where the big $$ comes into play. Building large numbers of mulitple makes of motors would probably be a step backwards, just too much to keep up with. Maybe some guys do, I'm not sure, but they definitely are not all one make of motor. This is why you hear things like Rousch engines are known for their gas mileage, and Yates for their power etc.....in house R&D.

They used to be built on 358ci smallblocks, pretty sure they are still 358's with 870 carbs. Block and so on is all factory make. There are still independent engine builders but the big teams are building in house these days.

I'm not sure I like Toyota in Cup, and I think if you polled NASCAR fans, the overwhelming majority would not like this idea. Consider the brand loyalty that drives NASCAR sponsorship. It will be interesting to see the reaction to a Toyota in victory lane with "Pepsi" all over it....would the end result of increased purchases of Pepsi be the same as if he is driving a US make?? Dunno.....food for thought though.