Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT - Question about TV COAX Cable >

OT - Question about TV COAX Cable

Notices

OT - Question about TV COAX Cable

Old 01-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, fellas! As usual, OSO comes through again.

I am going to take an organized, methodical approach to this problem and rip everything out and start over again!!

Just kidding! Actually, I'm going to go through all of the connections at the splitters and label everything. I'm then going to see if some of them can be eliminated. Like I mentioned, he wired damn near every room for a cable hookup - must have watched a lot of TV!

Question - srobak mentioned using line terminators. Does this cut down on the attenuation of a splitter? For instance, if I have a four-way, but I'm only using three outlets, will a splitter cut the insertion loss on the remaining three outputs? Should I also use line terminators on wall jacks in rooms that don't have a TV hooked to them?

I'm going to try to solve this without using a line amp. Also, I would rather not get the cable company involved.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:39 AM
Registered

DO NOT call the cable company unless you are paying them for each and every drop on your system. Otherwise you may be accused of stealing cable service.

The attenuation on each component should be labeled and remember that decibels (db's) are not additive they are logrithmic. Every 3db is equivalent to 1/2 (deductive) or 2x (additive) of the power level.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

My cable Co. does not charge per outlet or TV perhaps yours doesn't either. Splitters have isolated outputs no need to terminate. The reason I suggest getting the cable Company involved is that there the ones that can give you a higher level into your house and take away the need for the amp. This service in my area would no charge.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Srobak,
LOL ,I can't believe I'm involved in a CATV discussion on OSO.

Yes if you use a three way splitter and only use 1 tap the loss is the same as if you used all three,because the outputs are isolated from each other. Take this example hook up a four way splitter and hook three tv's to it then short out the last output what happens? Nothing
So that is why I am saying you don't have to terminate the outputs on a splitter it should have no effect on the system. I used to design MATV and I might be a little rusty but that is what I remember. I am now involved with large CCTV systems and have to deal with the dreaded termination problems all day long

Have a great day guys I'm off to Champagne ILL. long drive!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Registered

Thanks BUDMAN for starting this thread!! I have learned so damned much about this very problem I am also having that my head is spinning from reading all this!! I will definitely have to decipher what is being said after reading it a few more times about what to do. I'm glad Brian has the same opinion about Radio (JUNK) Shack as I do. I only go there when I am scraping the bottom of the barrel!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:21 PM
bobby daniels

DAMN GUYS I'M GOING TO TRY AND GET A JOB AT THE LOCAL CABLE COMPANY AFTER READING ALL THIS !!!!

I THOUGHT YOU LOST 3DB OR HALF SIGNAL EVERYTIME YOU SPLIT THE CABLE ???

LIKE A 90 DEGREE FUEL FITTING OR WHAT EVER FITTING CUTS THE FLOW IN HALF THATS WHY THEIR A BIG NO,NO ON PERFORMANCE
PROJECTS

Old 01-07-2003, 04:37 PM
RickerTX

Question......does all of this apply to Satelite dish also?? I need to run a line to my pool area this winter and I want to "catch" the signal from my family room TV and cable it to the back patio. Kind of a monitor of sorts. I am maxed out on number of satelite receivers in the house.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Satellite signal is digital. Must be direct from dish to receiver OR from both outputs of a dual LNB to a multiswitch if you need more than two receivers.

NOW, if you are talking about running a satellite receiver's OUTPUT to another monitor, no problem. Can do via coax on whatever output channel the receiver uses. Works same as Cable. RG6 or RG59 - same laws apply.

OR if you have two receivers in the house, you can run them into a signal modulator and "pipe" the receiver outputs to say CH85 and CH86 - then all tvs in the house can watch the "normal" cable channels PLUS receiver 1 and receiver 2 (via CH85 and CH86). Can use same theory for adding DVD players, etc to the house loop... Decent modulators run about $175 for one that adds 3 inputs to their own channel.

** picture quality will be cable tv-ish on the modulated loop, but the units themselves can be located at the main tv via s-vid or component hookups for best picture. ***
Old 01-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

check these:
http://www.futurehomesystems.com/v102.shtml#v112