Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dually questions---need advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40490-dually-questions-need-advice.html)

Niuhi 01-07-2003 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See, way to much truck, but pretty cool. :D ;)

Les

OBNOXUS21 01-07-2003 07:03 PM

Does anybody have anything to say about the Ford V10?
I have been looking for a 2000 GM Crew Cab Shortbed dually for a while and I just found out that Ford is making a shortbed dually/

I am planning on using it to trailer a 38' Scarab from LOTO to Havasu. Then I am also planning on going to Florida with it this coming summer maybe twice!

So far I have found 2. One a 2002 w/ 7k but no leather asking $29000, but that is in Maryland. The other is 2001 w/ almost 40k on it, but it has leather and everything else (asking $26000). It is also half the distance to Maryland.

I have been searching everywhere like a mad man for several months and my trip to Havasu is coming up pretty quickly. Both trucks are V10's. I am expectig to get terrible gas milage, but the truck won't be my daily driver. Does anyone know what milage they get?

I am a Chevy guy having owned 4 so far, but never had a dually before, or driven one for that matter.

If you read this and have .020 then let me have it.
Thanks!

johnnyboatman 01-07-2003 07:05 PM

go w/the 454. im in the pickup salv buisness, the 6.5l is crap, in my opinion, but who cares what i say find the one you like. ive heard people say they have over 300.000 thousand miles, others w/80k and there replacing the engine.

Niuhi 01-07-2003 07:19 PM

Mines over 205k and I've had no major problems, atleast not the motor. Tranny has been replaced once. If I have a gripe about my truck it would be with the transmission.

GO4BROKE 01-07-2003 08:29 PM

I had a 2000 454 crew cab 4:56 auto 4x4. No problems. Could tow 12,000 lbs at 80mph no problem. Fuel economy sucks but thats not a priority in a 7,000lb big block truck. The 454 had a HIGHER tow rating than the 6.5 TD. 454 with 4:56gears had the highest tow capacity you could get with a GM 1 ton. I now have a 2001 6.0L dually and very much miss my 454!!!!

Jayl13 01-07-2003 08:42 PM

You ALL know what I just bought
So Nuff Said!
and dont bother with the V10 from ford obnoxous21
mileage bites
have impressive HP and tq numbers but gas engines get their power mid range to up top end
diesels 7.3 PSD gets it at 1900-2000 stock 525
new 6.0 PSD gets it at 1800 RPM's
that will get your weight moving with lower rpm;s and thus less fuel to get and sustain moving.
That is why diesels are better suited to "work" with big weight loads.
Put it this way
you see any peterbuilts or mack trucks out there using a gas engine? Hell no
I am a chevy fan personally but their new body style could really use some improvements.
Fords styling is supreme and dodge needs to get their new prototype out already.
All in all, any one of these depending on how you drive it and what you do with it daily will reflect the problems it is going to have.
I traded in my 1990 F350 SRW on this dually and the 90 gave me Minimal annoyances and had 175 thou on it when I traded it in. Had the 460 in it and got 8 mpg city and 3 mpg towing highway and just about 2 mpg towing in city.
you guessed it, no overdrive!
New PSD 2003 is just a dream to drive should be able to pull anything out there even a 41 apache !!! (some skeptics disagree who will be unnamed COUikeGH)
Good luck in your decision, regardless of what you get, any dually will pull just about 95% of the boats that all of us OSO members have on this board regardless of gas or diesel.
Jason

goob 01-07-2003 09:01 PM

Sean
I have had 3 drw trucks. My first was an 88 Chev. ext cab 454. I never had any problems the 90,000 miles I had it. I did put an aftermarket exhaust on it and it helped. But I hated the ext cab. Next was a 96 GMC crew cab. The crew cab is the only way to go. On the ext cab nobody wants to sit back there, you can't hardly get anything in the back over the front seat. I now have a 2000 crew cab. I just put a Banks Power exhaust on it. I haven't hauled anything yet to tell about the exhaust, but it sounds better. All mine have been 454's because I didn't like the 6.5. I hear alot of guys knock the GM's for various reasons. I work for GM, so I think they are the best. Just get what works best for your needs. But I would think about the crew cab.
mike

Step 01-07-2003 09:02 PM

Use a F350 dually with V-10 (4x4) to pull 42 Fountain. Doesn't torque up as early as diesel but pulls boat at interstate speeds with no problem at all. Pulled across NC mountains to Fountain factory this summer with no problems (~13 hrs).

OBNOXUS21 01-07-2003 09:17 PM

Thats all great stuff, thanks!

I won't be pulling but maybe 5 times so I am not worried about the gas milage. In Havasu I will only put in once and leave it at the docks until time to go:(

I guess my main concern is that the one w/ @40k not having a warranty. I plan on selling the vehicle as soon as next Thanksgiving after I go to Florida with the boat. Should I be at all concerned with the gas powered being at 40k.

Like I said earlier, it won't be my daily driver, but i have never owned a one ton, only an '82 3/4 'Burban. Would've been an interesting match with the '82 KV :)

I like the truck alot so I think I am going to call the dealership tomorrow, unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks again, the more replies the happier I am, so go ahead and pay me your .02 !!!

OBNOXUS21 01-08-2003 02:36 AM

Well I guess (if nobody say otherwise) I will be calling today and driving 400+ miles to get my new tow rig, pending!

So unless this truck is what I am looking for, and you have previously read what I am using a truck for then i guess you can all wish me the best of luck. Even though all my friends are going to hate me for selling my GS400 on 20's to do this!

I guess that's all my late night drunk ass can legibally type now.