Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Football differences (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40579-football-differences.html)

Von Bongo 01-08-2003 10:28 PM

255 consecutive sellouts at 76,000 a shot, yea we don't think much of football in Nebraska. :rolleyes: :D

Von Bongo 01-08-2003 10:31 PM

Step, this is for you :D

In 1962 former Vol broadcaster George Mooney found a quicker and more exciting way to get to Neyland Stadium other than fighting the notorious Knoxville traffic. Mooney navigated his little runabout down the Tennessee River to the stadium and spawned what would later become the "Volunteer Navy." Today, approximately 200 boats of all shapes and sizes make up this giant floating tailgate party. Tennessee and the University of Washington are the only institutions with stadium adjacent to bodies of water.

Waterfoul 01-08-2003 11:06 PM

"The Big House" that Don Canham built, Bo Schembechler paid for, and Loyd Carr fills on Saturdays.

Capacity, 107,501. Average attendence is OVER 110,000. Nations LONGEST SELLOUT STREAK. And on Saturday game days, it IS the third largest city in Michigan. OSU stadium also seats 100,000 plus for EVERY game, which are also always sold out.

I have been on the wait list for Michigan football season tickets for 4 years. Was told it would be as long as 6 years before I would see tickets. Part of the issue with having the WORLDS largest active alumni assocition.

Oh, and 2 Heismans in the last 10 years from The Big House. And both are STILL playing in the NFL.

Most recognizeable helmut in college football. Most recognizeable college fight song in the world (I did not make that up, you can check it out if you want).

I've been to a game at Alabama. What a blast. It is a different type of atmosphere. Both north and south are fun. Both are a blast. I just LOVE college football.....north (except ND!!!, south, east, west (except for USC!!!!)

Bill272 01-08-2003 11:15 PM

Oops, just have to add a correction -
Hero:
South - Peyton Manning
North - the Heisman trophy winner (ooo..sorry, that's got to sting)

Oh, and Michigan Stadium has led the country in average attendance for 26 of the last 27 years. On an average game day, the crowd bests the population of all but the 198 largest cities in the country. Avg attendance last year was 110576, followed by Penn State at 107,239, then Tennessee at 106705, and Ohio State at 103488. Go to a game in November in a stadium full of 110000 fans in sub-freezing weather while the south is lounging in t-shirts and flip-flops and tell us all about football fans.

Waterfoul 01-08-2003 11:17 PM

You go Bill!!!!!!!!

Waterfoul 01-08-2003 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hail To The Victors!!!!

Here's the Big House. :D

Niuhi 01-09-2003 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Von Bongo you beat me to the punch. I was just about to mention the UW and it's swimstep parties :D ;) We always get the mega boats out for the game. The lake that the stadium is adjacent to is the lake that I'm always on (Lake Washington). Ours only holds 72,500, but because of the shape and design is one of the noisiest stadiums in the nation.

Pete B 01-09-2003 02:34 AM

originally from michigan there is not a better place for college football, the big house rules.

florida gator 01-09-2003 08:32 AM

You mean they don't do that all over.

From my experience, everywhere you reference student in your summation, continues into adulthood.

bluellama 01-09-2003 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Waterfoul
"The Big House" that Don Canham built, Bo Schembechler paid for, and Loyd Carr fills on Saturdays.

Capacity, 107,501. Average attendence is OVER 110,000. Nations LONGEST SELLOUT STREAK. And on Saturday game days, it IS the third largest city in Michigan. OSU stadium also seats 100,000 plus for EVERY game, which are also always sold out.

And if I'm not mistaken home of the largest crowd ever to watch a hockey game... :D