If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Documentation

My Boats:
    '00 45 Sonic
    Northern VA

Question Documentation

When a boat is documented with the Coast Guard do you have to register it with a state?? I know it needs a hailing port but it is also attached to a state for tax purposes?? HELP !!

I just did this last January...No you don't register with the State. There is however a form you have to fill out for the state and enclose a copy of the bill of sale and whatever else they request...And of course the State sales tax.

Big E
    Dallas Heat is correct, I am going through this now. I just mailed my $149.00 to the USCG Vessel Documentation Center along with all the forms and a USCG bill of sale (I bought a used boat). Then Missouri will get about $600 plus or minus once I get the papers back from the USCG. The forms for the USCG were very easy to fill out, they are online on the USCG page.

Platinum Member Platinum Member cig1988's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Bullet FOR SALE
    It depends on the state. My boat is documented as well. I pissed off 2 marine police officers at the local harbor one day by idling next to a bulkhead while I was trying to fix a problem. They broke my balls about not having a New York registration. Needless to say the cops (looked like sail boat people) let me know the next time they saw me without it they would issue me a ticket.

Gold Member Gold Member liquid asset's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Wellcraft Gran Sport 3400
    Haslet, TX,USA
    No registration and tax depends on how honest the buyer and seller are, inother words, it is avoidable

My Boats:
    2003 45 Sonic 3x575SCI
    Port Tobacco Maryland, Coconut Grove Florida
    Bill you must reg. with a state! use Virgina $2000.00 tax cap no matter what you paid, Do not do what I did and reg. in Maryland 5% it still hurts, You will get a DOC sticker no numbers like jack has in DC, Jack says no Tax in DC on Documented boats but you know jack?

My Boats:
    Don't even mention the word boat
    Tampa, Indian Shores Beach

To answer your question, US Coast Guard is OK for reg in VA. I have been stopped many times and Game wardens usually don't know what they are looking at. To answer your question, the way VA track your boat for personal property tax is through VA reg. So you get the idea.