Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: HELP! any legal connections in New Jersey??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40589-ot-help-any-legal-connections-new-jersey.html)

jb 01-08-2003 02:40 PM

OT: HELP! any legal connections in New Jersey???

Short story....
I was visiting NEWARK 4 weeks ago got into a minor fender bender in Harrison (next to Newark) NJ.
No big deal Officer takes down insurance etc etc.. no tickets issued.
Girl I hit submits insurance, her company calls my company.
Based on the policy # in the police report the Officer wrote down, the policy was cancelled in june 2002. (I have owned this car only since November 2002). Her Insurance company states I am uninsured. Girls insurance company tells her I have no insurance and she needs to fork over her deductable. She gets mad about that, goes back to police department and tells them She was hit by an uninsured driver. They then WRITE ME A TICKET AND SEND IT TO ME IN THE MAIL!
heres the deal.....
THE COP WROTE DOWN THE INCORRECT POLICY NUMBER!(he was off by one digit)

I have straightened this out with her insurance company,fine court wants me to travel 270 miles to appear in person with the correct paperwork. are you serious???? So they can reduce it to a failure to carry paperwork. Wont handle over the phone, on line, or just dismiss it.
If it was my error I would bite the bullet...but the cop wrote down the wrong number not me.
If I dont appear I will have a warrant for arrest issued!!!!

Anyone help?

ChrisK 01-08-2003 03:00 PM

Dude... that sucks...

Peconic 01-08-2003 03:11 PM

It sure does suck. The way I see it, you can either hire a lawyer in NJ, or do it yourself. Depends how much you value your time. The lawyer won't do it for free either.

straycat 01-08-2003 03:19 PM

legal help

hope this helps. You may be able to call the court and find out who the prosecutor is. Call him or better yet write and explain your situation o0in a letter along with the supporting documents. They will probably amend the tiket accordingly. good luck!

wilerty 01-08-2003 03:20 PM

JB: You might even try contacting the original officer who was at the site. Since it was his error he "might" :rolleyes: try to help you out with this. Otherwise, I think you've got to get an attorney involved. Should be able to be resolved by your attorney and the DA down there.

Good luck ... you'll probably need it.

GO4BROKE 01-08-2003 07:52 PM

Jim, I would try to get a hold of the DA yourself. If you can't then you will probably have to go to jersey.

Tinkerer 01-08-2003 08:09 PM

Call the DA he should be able to solve the problem. It worked for me.

florida gator 01-08-2003 08:24 PM

Jersey sucks. Someone opened a bank acct up there in my wifes maiden name (she has lived in Fl since she was a child). We are being sued for a bounced check from that acct. This all started at $46.99. Now after fees int and court costs, it is up to almost $500. My atty tells me unless the other party just gives up, we will either have to go to NJ to defend this action (still no guarantee of winning) or have a judgement against us in that amt.

These other attys at this point are not being very cooperative. I told them I could send an affidavit, and they have not accepted this yet. Because it is in NJ, an affidavit from my atty (Fl) is not acceptable in court.

fatdaddy 01-08-2003 09:24 PM

Jim, I'm an attorney in NJ. My office is in Newark and I go to the Court in Harrison often. The Municipal Prosecutor's name is Betsy McNamara, the problem is that it is a part time job and she is rarely there. You can use my name as a reference to try and work it out w/ her. If not, feel free to call and we'll try to work something out. Ric Monteiro 973 344 5542

jb 01-09-2003 06:31 AM

FatDaddy...Thanks so much for the info. I will call first and try to get it resolved. I appreciate your time!
Jim