Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2003 36 Spectre: Imco/Sportmaster test results!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40664-2003-36-spectre-imco-sportmaster-test-results.html)

Maximus 01-09-2003 03:28 PM

2003 36 Spectre: Imco/Sportmaster test results!!!

As you are now aware I am in the process of evaluating my new "Rig". I am definitely going with a Spectre due to the Service/Value/quality I have recieved on my current boat.

Here's the deal, Jay's (Spectre,president) new boat is in intense testing right now and I was able to watch and take notes during testing on an issue I have struggled to get my arms around concerning the set up of my new boat. Drives! Do I go with the Imco Extremes with their killer rake or stick with the Mercury Sportmasters that have handled so beautifully on my current 36 Spectre. Check out what the tests revealed!!

The details are as follows:
Spectre 36 Poker Run Edition
MDG 650 power
Drive Ratio 1:35
Test location Lake Tarpon
Temperature 57-64 Deg.
Propeller Choice: Bravo 1 34" Lab Finished
Transom Height 1 1/2" above running surface.

The 34" propellers were used because they produced the best all around combination of planing, acceleration and top end. A larger propeller had been tested and did produce a significantly higher top end number but that was not the main objective here.
They tested the boat with Mercury Racing Short Sportmaster Bravo XR's and IMCO 2" Short XTREME Advantage lowers. It should be noted that the stock location of the IMCO would not pick up water so they welded the stock location of the IMCO's water pick up closed and machined water pickups into the lower portion of the bullet in a similar location to the Sportmaster.

Test #1: Sportmaster Lowers
4000rpm= 75mph 12lb w/p
wot= 120mph 20lb w/p Handled well and light, planed good.
Test #2: IMCO Lowers
4000rpm= 75mph 12lb w/p
wot= 120mph 20lb w/p Planed slow (but they did not install the bolt on cav. plate) Top end handling light and a bit loose.
Test #3: Sportmaster Lowers w/ 1/2" Spacer
4000rpm= 75 mph 12lb w/p
wot= 118mph lost 200 rpm, required more trim, 20 lb w/p, Planed slower, handled well.
Test #4: IMCO Lowers
4000rpm= 75mph 12lb w/p
wot=118mph, did not require much trim, 20lb w/p, Top end handling still loose and tends to crab more.

Conclusion: It appears as if there is no difference in speed across the board with either lower. The Sportmaster with it's longer skeg you would think would create more drag, does not seem to affect speed but improves handling.

I am impressed that a mid size performance shop like IMCO is able to build a product that performs as well as the very well funded Mercury R&D department . Now, if Imco could just get rid of the cast putty fill holes!!!!

Stay tuned they are testing the new Mercury Racing 15 1/2 inch 5 blades "THE MAXIMUS" and Herring 5 blades tomorrow!!!

Maximus
;)

mmo jo 01-09-2003 05:15 PM

What did you do with your old boat?

Maximus 01-09-2003 06:00 PM

mmo Jo

Check out the "110 Warr beautiful post".

This one is right up your alley.

Maximus

rv 01-10-2003 07:20 AM

Please update us with the prop test results. That will be interesting data as well.

Maximus 01-10-2003 11:32 AM

I'll update you as soon as the test runs are done.

Maximus

John B 01-15-2003 09:24 PM

Maximus, What happened to the test? JB