Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   burban vs excursion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40762-burban-vs-excursion.html)

h2owarrior 01-12-2003 11:37 AM

Too Old....Look a little closer at the first picture. It looks to me like the boat is setting perfectly on that trailer with the bunks supporting the boat all the way to the transom. Looking from the side, the transom notch just makes it look like it is unsupported.

gmhdfan 01-12-2003 12:26 PM

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
GM doesn't have a solid axle, right?
Nort, corect me if I'm wrong but did the pic of the Chevy truck break a tie rod or something? And wouldn't the same thing happen to your straight axle if the tie rod broke?:cool: :)

onesloryd 01-12-2003 04:43 PM

The Excursion does not come with a rear anit sway bar but the rear anti sway bar off a F-350 fits perfect. The front bar is a little small but Hellwig makes a replacment for that. The Excursion with a 13" lift and 38" tires seems to handle better now than when it was stock.

PhantomChaos 01-12-2003 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
Nort it looks like you have the last foot of your boat hanging off the back of the trailer with no bunks under it????

When they moved the axles, did they move the bow stop forward?

Hi Fred~

h2owarriorn is right.....there is a transom notch that you can't see in that pic.

gmhdfan..........I found that pic on HotBoat.net and thought it looked pretty funny. There is a discussion on there. Actually, I don't know $hit about that. I didn't know there was such a thing as "solid" or not solid axle until I saw that thread. I bet it was a tie-rod that broke. I'm just partial to Ford.....cuz that's what I have, and I really like the diesel.

http://www.vxi.cc/phantomchaos/images/P0002327.jpg

h2owarrior 01-12-2003 10:06 PM

PhantomChaos....Dude, you are meesin with my computer. I have a couple of questions for you. 1. How do you get those huge pictures to post ? I have never been able to get that kind of quality and size. (please keep this to posting pics and nothing else:eek: ) 2. I cannot veiw the whole pic and see who posted it. It requires me to shift everything to the right. I have changed my screen settings but to get them set so I can see the whole pic, I cannot read my browser text.

Any advice would be apprecitated:rolleyes:

gmhdfan 01-12-2003 10:43 PM

That's cool Nort you should be proud of your rig. To me it does look a little over loaded. But a Suburban would be more overloaded (it hurts to say that:) ) I just think a crew cab dually is the only way to go. Now if they just made a car wash that it would fit through :rolleyes: . But I do get a kick out of a die hard Ford guy that thinks the sun rises and falls on a Ford. Then jumps in bad ass go fast boat powered by Big Block Chevy motors? Ever wonder why all those cool old street rods and old Ford trucks run Chevy motors in them. I saw a old Ford pickup in Daytona at the Turkey rod run that said on the tailgate "Built Ford Tough with Chevy Stuff" :) :cool:

h2owarrior 01-12-2003 11:08 PM

gmhdfan.... You truly are a GM fan:D :D

PhantomChaos 01-12-2003 11:35 PM

h2owarrior~

Sorry about that. It's an IMG link that sticks the picture in there. I have to move the screen over a little too, and I have my screen resolution at 1280x1024. I also have a 19" flatscreen so I can see the text. :)

GLH 01-15-2003 01:25 PM

Ford discontinuing the Excursion

Just Went to Ford dealer at Noon shopping for a used Ex or Burb and the salesman says Ford discontinuing the Excursion after 2003 said they will announce soon. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Also they had two new ones for 2003 $46k and two used 2002$22k same equipment THAT IS A HELL OF A BITE FOR 2 years. Am I wrong here???:confused:

jdnca1 01-15-2003 07:55 PM

I had a 97 Burb(2500) with 7400 motor, sold it about 4 months ago with 200,000 miles..didn't burn a drop of oil. Changed every 5-8000 miles. Now have an 01 burb (2500) with the 8100. The 97 drove like a truck and the brakes sucked.

The 01 seems more like driving a car and GM fixed the braking issue.;) I have a good friend with a 00 F250 with a PSD. First off the 8100 will run circles around the PSD in everyday driving and towing "medium" weights (4-8000#). Don't know about the heavier weights because I haven't experienced a comparison.

Diesels are generally overkill in any application where heavy towing and/or 250,000+ miles are not going to be seen. First you pay A LOT of $$ upfront to get a diesel, second diesels are (at least) twice as expensive to maintain (2 injector pumps so far in my friends), diesels are noisy, fuel is generally more expensive and the milage pick-up (4-5) is going to take A LONG time to overcome the above issues. Diesels will last longer no question, but who do you know that puts 250,000+ miles on a vehicle before they trade it. :rolleyes: Business's, fleets, etc yes but very few of us ever will.

Run the numbers, you'll be suprised that the math will rarely work to justify the added expense. ;)