Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do You Rack or Trailer? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40925-do-you-rack-trailer.html)

HiPerf2000 01-13-2003 04:40 PM

I have covered rack storage which includes winter storage for $1600 yr for a 253 Checkmate. the rate was the same for my buddies who have bigger and smaller boats. Mine is due this week also.

I just like the fact that it is inside and out of the elements. Plus mine is on the bottom and we are allowed to work/wash/start/run the boat when on a bottom spot.

Downside....if you come in after 4pm (which is every weekend), you park on the dock. Then they tow your boat around to the fork area. Sometimes there will be marks in my boat and the marina "has no idea" where they came from.

hp500efi 01-13-2003 04:56 PM

We trailer ours as well. We like to move around and visit other places so trailering is the only way we would have it.

later 01-13-2003 05:19 PM

Our 42 sits on a hoist at the lake house ready to go except i do have to go get my own fuel ( now there a business idea ) of course i dont think i would leave the keys for the fuel man.
later

oh midnightrider i havent forgotten ya on the arch. i did go down this last weekend but didnt take the truck.

ccarloss 01-13-2003 05:24 PM

I 100% trailer my Sunsation 288. The ramp is about 10 miles, $60.00 a year and gas is far cheaper on the road. I boat in salt water so I am very particular about washing and flushing after EVERY use.

Sonic Steve 01-13-2003 05:33 PM

We trailer our 42 Sonic, yes its a monster to get around but we share a building with a couple of buddies. This allows us to take it wherever we want and work on it whenever, and we save a ton by fueling up on land. The building cost us about $200 a month between the three of us.

GO4BROKE 01-13-2003 05:39 PM

I trailer my 31 Sonic, keep it in the garage I built for it during the week (and winter).

florida gator 01-13-2003 05:51 PM

Both. I had the rack over the summer, but would pull it out sometimes to travel. We have so much water within a couple of hour drive. I put it on the trailer when football season started. I wasn't able to use it enough to justify the $$.

I agree with Baja, I use it alot more when it is on the rack. I have even taken it to lunch.

Baja, how do you keep yours flushed? I have thought about going around Tarpon Springs, but I am in fresh spring water now when I come in.

Quest for Speed 01-13-2003 06:01 PM

I've trailered my last two boats. Current boat is a 38 Powerquest that just fits beside my house. It's nice to be able to clean the boat and tinker with stuff, plus $1.00 less per gallon than at the marina doesn't hurt either. I figure I save $450/month by keeping it at the house. Three boats ago was a cruiser that I kept in the water, which was nice to go and relax on but not worth the extra maintenance and slip fees IMHO.

US1 Fountain 01-13-2003 06:10 PM

Trailer.
Garage is 48' deep, so not a problem. I don't trust anyone with my boat, let alone drive a fork truck under it and scratching the hull. (anal) We have to drive to the lake anyway, so towing the boat is no big deal. It follows the truck, and at the exact same speed too. :) Usually never have to wait for more than a couple of people launching.
Pay only $15 for year long seasonal launch pass thats good for any Ind. state park. Gas on the road is cheaper too, as the rest have said. We go every weekend, so trailering has never been a holdup.
I think those of us that trailer are 'more likely' to go to other lakes than those that don't. Same old stuff gets boring after awile for me.

mpally 01-13-2003 06:19 PM

I'm with Later on this. Ours sits on a lift at our house. It is nice to just run down to the dock and drop her in and go. I guess if I had to trailer I would. The downside is gas. We have to pay for gas on the water, which everyone knows is high. However, we do get a $.17/ gallon tax refund at the end of every year.