Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who taught you to drive a boat??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/40956-who-taught-you-drive-boat.html)

puder 01-13-2003 11:25 PM

myt dad taught me just abotu every improper boat driving technique you can imagine.

I really taught my self how to drive/dock in a 19' bayliner. The jump to the scarab was liek night any day power steering and big loud engine. Prior to rebiulding her I could park on a proverbial dime.

Griff 01-14-2003 02:29 AM

Drove my first boat at LOTO when I was about 8 years old. It was one of my grandparents neighbors. They basically just pointed and said "go that way and hit the waves head on." Parents got a boat when I was about 10 and was docking it by the time I was 12. That one was sold by the time I was 14. Finally bought my own boat when I was 27. The hardest thing was getting used to trailoring it.

Mark in So. MD 01-14-2003 02:38 AM

pops owned(still does) a sailboat:rolleyes: :o so I just hung out with VelocityMike during the younger days and we tought ourselves

Shah Mat 01-14-2003 05:06 AM

Dad taught me in his Sea Ray, but like VelocityMike said, I still learn something new every time I go out. The best advise he taught me was to say "Plug in.....Plug Out" at the ramp. It is just a way to never forget to put the plug in the boat and unplug the trailer lights when launching, and the opposite when trailering.

AugiePensa 01-14-2003 06:56 AM

My DAD in 1965? he always said it's was like driving one of our moving trucks.....always LOOK in ALL directions...pay attention and be courteous but the thing that always comes to my head is Children must wear life jackets,yeah that sticks out in my head the most.Like most of you I learn something new just about everytime I'm out on the water....Oh and never TRUST Mother Nature.

Shane 01-14-2003 07:13 AM

My father began the process and I did a lot of reading, took several power squadron courses and attained my capt. license. Then just having tons of seat time and working at a marina I really honed my skills.

Jana 01-14-2003 07:14 AM

My Dad's not a boater, so when I jumped into this sport, it was the boat captain at the Donzi dealer (for about an hour - almost useless), later my mechanic (who used to own a Sweet 16), but mostly on my own by trial and error. (Luckily, not too much of the latter.) I've taken a bunch of Power Squadron courses and talked to a lot of people. Now, I'm hoping to get some hands-on training from some of the more experienced TOPPS members this summer.

dmhoj 01-14-2003 07:14 AM

My dad taught me in a 16' Steury, with a whole 60hp Evinrude. He was letting me steer while he was sitting right behind me. After we were on plane for a while, I turned around he was sitting all the way in the back laughing hystericaly. I had no idea how long I was driving myself. I can still learn a thing or two from him.

boomer 01-14-2003 07:20 AM

DAD a 1962 16' Wood Thompson Still wish I had it right now.

dmhoj 01-14-2003 07:23 AM

My dad taught me in a 16' Steury, with a whole 60hp Evinrude. He was letting me steer while he was sitting right behind me. After we were on plane for a while, I turned around he was sitting all the way in the back laughing hystericaly. I had no idea how long I was driving myself. I can still learn a thing or two from him.