Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Porsche repair question ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41115-ot-porsche-repair-question.html)

THEJOKER 01-15-2003 11:20 AM

OT: Porsche repair question ???

1980 Porsche 911 Targa - sometimes the car will not go into 2nd gear! I've been told this could be syncronizers in transmisssion? Anybody know anything about these transmisssions and how much to rebuild? I do not trust any Porsche mechanic , so far anyway. - BH

PS - Already had the engine built w/ new clutch , shift cable.

puder 01-15-2003 11:37 AM

if it runs ag50 you can get a freshly rebiult transaxle for $3000. That is more than you are goign to need, BUT it gives you an idea of how much a worst case scenario woudl be.

THEJOKER 01-15-2003 12:26 PM

fingers crossed

I just talked to two different mechanics - one says $ 1500.00 TO $2000.00 to rebuild the transmission , the other guy said bring it to me and let me drive it , $ 700.00 to $ 1000.00 to rebuild the tranny. I'm going to take it to the 2nd guy , he sounded more honest and is local - BH

Dano 01-15-2003 12:48 PM

Yup, sounds like a synchro gear or shift lever... pretty common, not a big fix. The new clutch and cable probably stressed it. There are a ton of those trannys around probably cheaper to get a totally rebuilt one vs just the 2nd gear synchro. Parts/labor everything should be about 1-1.5K. Several parts houses on line that you can access.
An 80 model wouldn't have a G50 trans.

JUSTONCE 01-15-2003 12:57 PM

I agree with Dano a rebuilt may be cheaper plus you don't have to worry about replacing any seals or gaskets that may be discontinued.

THEJOKER 01-15-2003 03:04 PM

thanks

Dano:

Do you know the links for Porsche used parts? Once again - the power of OSO! BH

What is this car worth? 1980 911 SC - Targa - Clean 150,000 miles - she's going to be sold when I get her fixed - BH

Dano 01-15-2003 03:37 PM

There are several of them but a good place to start for used stuff is ebay. Do a search under E-Bay motors/sports cars/Porsche/Porsche parts...several performance shops and after-marketers have links on there. You don't have to play the auction game just call them direct and they will tell you exactly how much. ( I can provide direct links if that is easier for you but they are on the home computer). I have found all kinds of OEM parts that were very reasonably priced from seals, mats, Euro light markers, short shift kits and all kinds of performance parts.

Is your 911 a US or Euro model? Used Porsche pricing is very subjective based on model/condition etc. Check with your local PCA (Porsche Club of America) an enthusiast will pay good dollars if it is tight. Unfortunately since it's a Targa it wouldn't make a good club racer but you might find someone looking for a restoration project.

PS: You can find OEM seal kits on that site for the Targa top if you have those pesky little leaks starting around $20USD...