Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duramax wins! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41136-duramax-wins.html)

gmhdfan 01-20-2003 08:45 PM

Originally posted by jafo
Wow-:rolleyes: I'm sure that tow truck business you work for is full of upper-class citizens and PhD's. You stepped WAY over the line with that remark in your over-zealous attempts to defend your beloved GM. You undoubtedly also have accurate statistics to back up such a remark? I'm sure you do. :rolleyes: I would have to say you owe an apology to a lot of well-educated OSO members that happen to drive Fords.
Absolutely unbelievable!:eek:

Please except my apology. I said I was not trying to insult anybody. Just making an obersvation that more than just I have noticed. Maybe it's just a Fla. thing. But the farther out of the metropolation areas you get you find Fords parked next to the trailer homes. Certainly anyone that can afford a $40,000 truck isn't a 3rd grade dropout. I am sure their is a reason Ford is dropping the X because of poor sales. Maybe it dosen't fit into the demographics of a typical Ford owner. Yet they can't build enough Suburbans or H2's. We transport about 50-60 new BMW's a month to Port Jax and Port Everglades. I don't know what class of people that are receiving these cars but my guess is they are not rednecks. I didn't mean to be over-zealous. I don't need to defend GM products, I think they sell themselves when compared to other brands. I own both brands and think one is clearly a better product. Like I said before, it's your money and you can spend it anyway that makes you happy. Sorry if you took this the wrong way. I just call them like I see them.:)

outlawinil 01-20-2003 09:15 PM

I don't know about you guys but after a hard day work it sure is entertaining to pull up this forum and see how big a fool gmhdfan is making out of himself. Keep up the good work and keep dodging those questions everyone is asking you. Is that your Fords parked next to the trailer parks?

gmhdfan 01-20-2003 09:22 PM

And what question am I dodging?

Dock Holiday 01-20-2003 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been driving since 1973. I always prefered GM products and never bought my first Ford until 2 years ago.

My Dad, Brother and uncles ALL drove Fords. Man did I catch hell.

I have purchased the following new vehicles;

GM 11 total
Dodge 1
Mazda 1
Honda 2
Jeep 6
Mercedes 1
Ford 2

In my business 90 percent of my customers drive trucks in their work. I started noticing that 70% of them drove Fords and the Power Stroke was the engine of choice.

My wife worried me to death until she got an Excursion V-10. I heard it for two years and finally gave in. WOW, am I impressed. I cannot believe what a great truck this is. She would get rid of me before the Excursion. I really enjoy driving it as well.

I started thinking completely different about Ford. So when the time came for a new car for me, I wanted the ultimate to pull the 36 Outlaw. Drove the 3500 Duramax and liked it. Both the wife and I thought the Ford F-350 rode better. Bottom line was that I could buy the Ford Lariet F-350 crew cad 4x4 power stroke with leather and all the buttons for around $3500.00 less than the Duramax. It was a proven package, and we likes it.

With the difference in money I added a spray in bed liner, billet grill, mud flaps, 50 gallon fuel cell and a sony stereo, cd changer, xm radio and sub.

It does EVERTHING I ask of it very well and looks good doing it.

For me it was the best and the right decision!

I am a converted "Proud Ford" Owner.

Hope you guys love your Duramax as much as we love the Fords.

Semper Fi 01-20-2003 11:03 PM

gmhdfan,
I used to transport boats all over the country....NO more. If I did have a gas truck, I couldn't make any money with the fuel costs of a gas motor. I am in the mortgage business now, much better. Anyway, the diesel has a proven track record for me over the past 4 yrs I have had the truck. Sorry you have had such bad luck with diesels, but you can have a problem with any make, model, or brand. In my opinion (and MANY OTHERS) the diesel is far superior than a gas motor, that's why all the big rigs are diesels. Most people, especially Ford owners don't share you're opinions at all, since over 75% of all the Super Duty Ford's being built today are diesels!!!!!!! That's a fact.
I gotta tell you that the comment about the Ford owners wasn't very well thought out. Good luck to you. I am so done with this post.

outlawinil 01-21-2003 12:33 AM

HOLY COW NEVER MIND!! As the saying goes "your mouth is writing checks your brain can't cash". Let's hear your list of educational almamaters wrecker boy?

gmhdfan 01-21-2003 01:11 AM

OK, for the 2nd time I am saying I am sorry for the comment. Do I think a diesel is a superior motor over a gas motor? YES!! I just don't think that most people own them long enough to benifit from the extra cost. I said I owned a Chevy 6.2 diesel it dosen't get any worse than this for a gutless motor. I also mentioned that Chevy bought back a 98 Corvette because of a 6 speed transmission problem. So by no means is Chevy perfect. When it comes to a SD truck their isn't much more of a choice to pick from than the PSD. I think Ford dropped the ball with their gas motors when it comes to trucks. I really never heard anyone bragging about their V10. It's just that the Fords transmissions aren't good enough to handle towing even if it is under warranty your vacation is still ruined when you smoke your transmission. I'm sorry this post went south and I have no one to blame but myself. My only point was that here in Fla with the cost of diesel and the extra cost of the diesel option you have to drive a lot of miles before the diesel pays off. And that most people don't keep their trucks that long. I don't like the smell or the noise of a diesel, and I think they lack the power that I want in a personal truck. I also believe the X has a better towing capacity than a Suburban but we are right back to the tansmission problems. The Older Suburbans fell short in the brake dept. (1/2 ton) but the 5.7 and 6.0 motors made enough power for most people. Now as far as a tow vehicle I think a ext cab/crew cab dually is the bare minimum and I don't think that their is a better production motor made than a Chevy big block. I tried to be constructive in this thread by turning you guys on to Art Carr transmissions to build you a bullet proof tranny. Now one last note next time you watch the President of this great country get out of a truck take notice what brand it is. When you watch military footage take notice that the Hummer doesn't sport a blue oval. Sorry guys I'm a motor head and a speed junky and it just doesn't get any better than a wide valve cover motor in my eyes. Peace :) :cool:

Semper Fi 01-21-2003 01:28 AM

Originally posted by gmhdfan
OK, for the 2nd time I am saying I am sorry for the comment. Do I think a diesel is a superior motor over a gas motor? YES!!
Okay, I'm HAPPY NOW!!!!!!!!!
I think we can forgive you for the bad comment:D
Good luck to you

gmhdfan 01-21-2003 01:54 AM

Originally posted by outlawinil
HOLY COW NEVER MIND!! As the saying goes "your mouth is writing checks your brain can't cash". Let's hear your list of educational almamaters wrecker boy?
I have a degree from the school of hard knocks. I have hotroded and restored very well educated peoples boats and muscle cars. People that are so book smart they can barely put gas in their car. Don't kid yourself about the towing Industry, I'm my own boss and don't have to answer to anyone (except the Mrs.) if your ever in town come over for some drinks and I think you will be very impressed with my living conditions and my toys. I am blessed with beautiful twin 6 year old girls, have a nanny and send them to private school. No, I don't own an Apache yet but you have to set goals in life. I was lucky enough to grow up during the Apache era and have some great memories of partying at the Fort. If you would like any personal references I would be happy to supply them to you.

Sincerely "Wrecker Boy" :) :cool:

H20 Cowgirl 01-22-2003 07:26 AM

Touche'

:cool: