Notices

Saratoga Springs NY

Old 01-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Saratoga Springs NY

Anyone from, live around or in this area?
Have a job offer here.
Alot less money then now, but I have heard the area is not as expensive as Minneapolis.
What is the area like. I know its the same weather pattern as MN
What is the water situation like for boating?
Good bad OK large water or is it only for smaller boats?

Let me know, and Thanks
Old 01-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mn Fast Boat,

Let me pipe right in here.

I live on Lake George Ny, which is 25 miles north of Saratoga.
The boating is excellent. Lake George is 32 miles in length with alot of go-fast boats. Very clean lake as you can see bottom up to 25 feet down. Houses still use lake for drinking water. Besides Lake George you have Lake Champlain an hour away, the Hudson 10 minutes away in which you can go anywheres in the world from and you are about 2,5 hours from the Atlantic.

As far as the City goes, It is about 200 years old, very very quaint and high class. Summer time in August the night life is out of this world Due to the flat track (horses) I cant compare it to Your area but if you were to come in and check out the area I work right at the Airport and would be more than happy to pick you up and give you a grand tour of the entire capitol region.

My # is 518 361-0811 or home is 518 644-9115

I would hook up with Shane and get his opinion also as he has lived in this area for a long time

Fell free to call and ask anything

Bob Scanlon
Old 01-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mnfastboat,

I too live right on the lake. I don't think you will find a nicer area than the capital district and the north country. Major cities like Boston, Montreal and NYC are just a short drive or train ride and the boating is magnificent. Races and poker runs are near by and the mountains are absoluteky breathtaking. As Otis311 said I would be happy to be your tour guide along with him as well. Anything you need to know or anything I can be of assistance with I would be more than glad to assist you. If I may ask what company are you looking at? If you feel better pm'ing me please feel free. I know many of the business owners and I would be happy to give you my thoughts. Is it a big publisher? Please do not hesitate to ask for any assistance.

Shane
Old 01-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob couldn't sum it up better , talk with Shane . He is like the general ambasitor to the north country. I met him and Shane on OSO when I announced that I was buying a wekend house in lake George. They are both great people, and know the area very well. Since I bought my house I would much rather live there than here 50 miles north of NYC . There is things to do year round. your big ski resorts are only a hour or so away . you got some of the most beautiful scenery in the north east in the Adirondacks, and one hell of a beautiful and fun ass lake, Lake George. As for weather Its a great place to experience the four seasons. winter you get your fair share of snow and plenty of snowmobile trails to keep you going till spring. summer there is plenty of lakes to go boating on but the best will be on Lake George or the Hudson river.

I hope this helps, good luck with the interview . let us know when you are coming.

Paul
Old 01-14-2003, 08:44 PM
toonatime

My home town..but been away for years and go back yearly to visit relatives..Saratoga is the place to be if you live in Albanyarea..One of the most active downtown, areas in the nation..Reason...the Saratoga Race track..horses. Now 5 or 6 weeks in July August.. Broadway is packed as are hotels and restaurants..More pubs than anywhere!!Prices go way up too..
Skidmore college and empire state college keeps the sport bars active..Saratoga Lake 4 miles long has 40mph limit.. 3 were killed in jet boat a few years ago and 40 became law.. only one public
ramp which is a circus.. Go to lake George for power boats..
Housing prices have been soring for years,,search realestate
My cousin is [email protected]..
Have fun.. ask if you need more..
SKY

Last edited by toonatime; 01-14-2003 at 08:50 PM.

Old 01-14-2003, 09:53 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother in law and wifes Grandparents live in Saratoga Springs. Great town, when the horse races are going on the place is packed!! My brother in law has a cruiser on Lake Sacandaga(sp). We have only been out on the lake late in the season so there wasn't much going on, but it is very scenic. There are plenty of lakes around and yes the Hudson is minutes away. So a trip to NYC is not out of the question!! Locks and All!!! If you go for it I'll see you there during the races.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:59 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do go, look for this transom........
Old 01-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am from up that way also... REALLY nice area...I just couldnt take th e COLD anymore in the winter... I came from schenectady and went to school in troy. Spent many A summer on lake george.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Thanks alot for the input guys
Otis and SHane thanks very much for the info and offer of a Tour
I just might take you up on that
However, I do have a couple ex-co-workers that live there. One reason for being able to know about hte place.
SHane i have no problem saying the CO. Quad Graphics.
I have heard both good and bad and heard about hte pay being not as high as where I am. Over $3/hour LESS but they also say the cost of living is lower.
How about hte taxes?? Is New York state high on taxes?? Is there additional local tax on income? Or is there even income tax at all??
I have been through that area minus 60 some miles year befroe last after I left an OSO Chicago gathering I drove out ot NYC. I went to Niagara Falls on the way but never did drive the extra mileage north to Saratoga.
It is something I am looking into, at least to broden my chances and look for Higher opportunities.
Thanks again
Old 01-15-2003, 01:39 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

another question
Boat related

what is the cost of storage, slips, dockage, and launch fees??
I normally trailer my boat, mostly because of the cost of slips and lifts here
I kep it in a secured enclosed storage wharehouse for about 125 a month. What is the cost there?
I remember when driving from Niagara to NYC it was somewhat hilly? I had the car and it was in the middle of the night so I could not see the off road terrain very much for sure.

Quick Reply: Saratoga Springs NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.