OT: Work. Comp. woes........ >

OT: Work. Comp. woes........

Notices

OT: Work. Comp. woes........

Old 01-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OT: Work. Comp. woes........

This is a bricklayer's accident report, which was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation Board. This is a true story. Had this guy died, he'd have received a Darwin Award for sure..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Sir,

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level I went up onto the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel, which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed.

This explained the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs.

I refer you again to my weight, 135 lbs.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up.

This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks in pain and unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me.

This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers your inquiry.

Sid

Old 01-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Registered

Killing me!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 01-16-2003, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

He had a bad day
Old 01-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW I love it
Old 01-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And I thought I was having a bad day... HA! not any more!
Old 01-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Registered

Dammmmm!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old one but a good one.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LMFAO every time I read it!

I only wish it was on video!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:49 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing..

Quick Reply: OT: Work. Comp. woes........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.