If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

USCG Captains License

Hey everone,

What all is required to get a USCG Captains License and what are the different levels of the license? (ie 100ton etc) Do you need a phyiscal? Any sites out there with good info?

Charter Member Charter Member Ted G's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
    Edgerock Baby!!
    You do need a physical and a drug test

The main difference between the licenses is the amount of time you can document on what size vessels and where it is (offshore, near shore, inland). The test is the same. There is a really good book by a guy named Charlie Wing that will tell you all you need to know and has every test question in it. There is also a testing program on CD rom that you can practice on.

I got mine at Boat you better hurry
    Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association

What does the physical cover?

Charter Member Charter Member Ted G's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
    Edgerock Baby!!
    You know, just the normal stuff.

Blood pressure

heart rate

lung capacity

hearing test

vision test

anal probe with a 12" stainless steel rod

removal of 3 pints of blood

2 leaches

Oh.....and you have to give them 4 sperm samples

P.S. you also have to pass a CPR course.
    Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association

Here is the Coast Guard site:

I'm active duty Coast Guard and Maintain a 100T License. If you have any specific questions the site doesn't answer give me a call.

I'm in SOBE right now but I'll be back on Monday.

787.706.2435 or

The book that insptech mentioned is really good-- the CD alone is worth the cost.

My Boats:
    2000 velocity260
    My dad and I are taking ours in FEB, he should pass with flying colors he has been boating 40+yrs. I am hoping I can pull it off.

My Boats:
    1988 banana - Sold, 1993 banana - Sold, 1979 banana - Building, 1978 banana - Building, 1972 Cigarette 20 - Sold, 1997 Scarab Sprint - Sold, 1985 Jaguar Stepped Cat, Gaff-Rigged Schooner
    Portsmouth, NH

Talking USCG ordinary seamen

I got my 100 ton at New England Maritime in Hyannis, Massachusetts.

I recommend that place with out reservation.

It took like 4 months and I went 4 nights a week.

You can take the test just by studying, but I feel taking a course results in a lot more knowledge.

When I went, I had about 10 years experience in relatively large boats. With the exception of maybe two guys, I was the least experienced in the class. I learned a lot from the old salty leatherskinned fishermen and tug boat drivers.

Just remember, don't lie on your sea service letters. The Coast Guard guy's aren't dummies.

Good Luck...

My Boats:
    1986 41" Cig diesel
    Detroit or Key West
    I got my 100T in 1999. There are basically 2 ways to get your "ticket". First study on you’re own with mail order courses and go to you’re local REC (Regional Examination Center) and sit for your license (not fun). The second way is to use a private approved school take their course and take the test there. I tried the mail order thing on 2 separate occasions and never got up to speed. Finally wrote the check to have knowledgeable people guide me through the whole process study, testing, documentation and finally the application. Time and $ well spent. I'm certain I would have not made it through the 1st time on my at the REC.
    A nifty aspect of having your Merchant Marine License is you will also be signed up in the MM Reserve. I always thought it would be funny to see all these documented boats heading to the Local Coast Guard for a commission in the coastal patrol. Maybe they will let me drive my own and they would pay for the fuel. Put-In-Bay could be the first line of defense against the Axis of Snow to our North.