Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why are dealers dropping Donzi??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41253-why-dealers-dropping-donzi.html)

26ZX Donzi 01-18-2003 07:58 AM

Sorry Guys. The Margaritas were doing some of the talking and I (as proven) am not very good at sarcasm.

I apologize to surface tension and any others that were confused or offended.

Donzi's are priced awfully high compared to Baja and some others. If you do some shopping around, which is half the fun, you can get a quality Donzi product for a decent price.

riskybusiness 01-18-2003 08:01 AM

Tension:

I was a tech at the Donzi dealer on Lake Winnipesaukee several years ago (probably the same dealer referred to earlier).

I could not believe I was actually getting paid to set up and test drive every new Donzi in our lineup!:D 'Not a bad job.

Anyway, I have been out of touch with the dealer for a while now, so I don't even know if they still carry them (last I knew they did, as well as Pro-Line--owned by the same parent compnay, etc.). THe Pro-Lines sold a bit more volume, because of their fishing nature (bigger market almost anywhere you go).

As far as the new Donzi's go, I did notice some minor attention to detail lacking here and there (aesthetic trim pieces needing to be refastened, and so on), but was ALWAYS very impressed with the design and performance of the boats, at least their smaller, classic models.

The 16, 18, and 22 classics were, and are some of the best handling, fastest, and most predictable boats in their class.:)

A 22' classic, with stock power, would run just under 75 MPH all day long, not even feeling a 2' chop.

THe BLACKHAWK 22' cracked into the low 80's, with the same rough-water and handling characteristics. 'Turned on a dime, knifed though chop, awesome boats.

As far as the larger models go, at the time, anyway, 38' or so, we had a tougher time moving those, as the local market did not support them, we were forced to compete with other dealers nationwide, etc.

I had less experience driving their larger boats, but a best friend of mine at the marina was killed in a spin-out as he test drove a brand new 38zx (their intro to stepped hulls) on its maiden run. We never actually did learn the cause of the crash, but safe to say he was not wearing his lanyard. He was NOT a lunatic driver, and was fairly experienced. Sad story.

'Wife's coming---gotta go.

Good luck.

riskybusiness 01-18-2003 08:58 AM

Tension:

I was a tech at the Donzi dealer on Lake Winnipesaukee several years ago (probably the same dealer referred to earlier).

I could not believe I was actually getting paid to set up and test drive every new Donzi in our lineup!:D 'Not a bad job.

Anyway, I have been out of touch with the dealer for a while now, so I don't even know if they still carry them (last I knew they did, as well as Pro-Line--owned by the same parent compnay, etc.). THe Pro-Lines sold a bit more volume, because of their fishing nature (bigger market almost anywhere you go).

As far as the new Donzi's go, I did notice some minor attention to detail lacking here and there (aesthetic trim pieces needing to be refastened, and so on), but was ALWAYS very impressed with the design and performance of the boats, at least their smaller, classic models.

The 16, 18, and 22 classics were, and are some of the best handling, fastest, and most predictable boats in their class.:)

A 22' classic, with stock power, would run just under 75 MPH all day long, not even feeling a 2' chop.

THe BLACKHAWK 22' cracked into the low 80's, with the same rough-water and handling characteristics. 'Turned on a dime, knifed though chop, awesome boats.

As far as the larger models go, at the time, anyway, 38' or so, we had a tougher time moving those, as the local market did not support them, we were forced to compete with other dealers nationwide, etc.

I had less experience driving their larger boats, but a best friend of mine at the marina was killed in a spin-out as he test drove a brand new 38zx (their intro to stepped hulls) on its maiden run. We never actually did learn the cause of the crash, but safe to say he was not wearing his lanyard. He was NOT a lunatic driver, and was fairly experienced. Sad story.

'Wife's coming---gotta go.

Good luck.

surfacetension 01-18-2003 09:25 AM

I,m not at all offended, I am just looking to get some info so I don,t step into a hole . I,m not a real offshore type guy ( Just big Northeast lakes) BUT!!!! I still love the look of the Donzi, I guess all boats have thier down sides

tmager 01-18-2003 09:52 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to bash Donzi, I know of other boat manufacturers in which the deck at least came loose from the boat including the brand I own. Just thought it was an interesting photo and this wasn't the thread to post it in.

The boat was three years old and the driver made a hard turn and the deck came loose with the 4 people getting ejected and no one injured. The accident happened on Torch Lake in Northern Michigan.

FRANKIEFRANKIE 01-18-2003 10:10 AM

Heard they are making some major changes factory wise and going back to the great days of great boat building. Also heard an awesome project to be unveiled in Miami. Can't wait to see it.

As a boat builder I can say that pictures of things that happen to boats can be misleading as the manufacturer has no way of knowing what the owners have done to the boats after they are purchased. ie replacing trim, rub rails, fasterners with after market products that are not for that particular application and not the same technique as the factory. Also, previous owners can make changes and not tell new owners. I think that overall the industry is way ahead in quality and safety.

surfacetension 01-18-2003 10:15 AM

When is the Miami show? I may go down to Atlantic city to see some new rides

FRANKIEFRANKIE 01-18-2003 10:19 AM

Miami Boat Show

February 13th thru 18th

Ryan Beckley 01-18-2003 04:50 PM

I was told DONZI would give dealerships to more than one place in a particular town which would make it VERY tough to make good money.

Shooter 01-19-2003 09:05 AM

just to throw .02 in.

I just bought a 302 with twin 502 mags and full latham - it's a 25th anniv (stickers say so). Yes, dollars were definately a major decision. I got the boat for 50k with trailer. It's a 96 with 248 hours at the time and a trailer. Guys needed to buy real estate in a hurry, no deposit - get me the money by the weekend deal. Two others were right on my tail for the same boat.

I also have to say that this is my third Baja too. I was looking at Sonics and older cigs (almost bought Too Olds - he got cold feet - haha just kiddn). So they are defeinately not POs's, it does rattle from time to time when I'm runnning it hard Offshore. Price vs. Performance was absolutely the criteria. Baja gets it over the bow but it's a great running and looking boat. I got a newer boat, well maintained, with low hours. Any other I looked at in the same price range needed work or was a roach. Donzi's were not even on my radar screen. They are MUCH more expensive. I agree fit and finish is important, but where is the point of dimishing returns. I've heard great stories about them and I know people that have them and they are a super boat. However, I have heard just as many horror stories too, so where is the real differentiation?

Hey, I'm in the tech industry in a bad economy. When things turn I can sell this to someone similar to myself and not lose a dime - maybe make a buck or two. I want a cig or similar.

Hmmm.... that 36 outlaw on boatrader looks pretty cool.