Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Baja boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41509-baja-boats.html)

Von Bongo 01-20-2003 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
Keith, I look at that photo and it's hard to believe your boat is 13 years old. It doesn't look 13 months old.

The guys who own Baja's seem to love them. Ask Dock Holiday. He's had at least a couple and currently has a beautiful 36 Oulaw.

Don't place your willy in a socket???

Too Old you been in the uncensored section too many times!!

JaayTeee 01-20-2003 06:32 PM

I'm on my 3rd, wouldn't have
any problem buying another one.
Lot's of bang for the buck.
Good overall performance,
I also haven't had any boat
problems to speak of, and
YES, I do use the thing,
and it's had it's share of
being beat on.

How it's been taken care of is key,
I have seen higher end boats that
weren't taken care of that were a real
POS
my .02
jt

Dock Holiday 01-20-2003 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As Too Old mentioned, I am on my third Baja and have been very satisified.

Baja is owned by Brunswick, which owns Mercury, Four Winds, Bay Liner and Sea Ray.

They are a high volume builder, but use the same materials the other guys do. I have visited the plant and was very impressed. They do many nice things and overall build a solid product.

All Baja's are still true deep vee (not stepped), which gives them a very good ride, excellent handling and make them easy to drive for those that do not have a lot of experience. The down side is they are a little slower size per size and horsepower per horsepower with the stepped boats.

My first was a 1999 Baja 212 with 454. We have a lot of fun with it, skiing and tubing and it was fast. We then traded it for a 2000 Baja 272 with 502 mag. The 272 is a lot of boat for the size. The wife and I overnighted on it twenty times at least and made several trips to the coast. It is easy to trailer, has a great ride and a lot of room.

Still wanting more, we purchased a new 36 Outlaw this last June with twin 500 EFI's. Baja offers a lot of options that many other manufactures don't in that size boat. Because of the options and the Cigarette like styling it was the boat for us.

It has A/C, Vacu-Flush head and holding tank, fresh water tank, water heater, microwave, electric stove, refridgerator, television, shorepower, McClod electric bolsters, triple bolster rear seat, boat on swim platform (True 36 Foot Boat), good head room in cuddy, great stereo, Grafrig gauges, etc, etc.

Bottom line is that they are a lot of boat for the money.

If I can answer any questions send me an e-mail.

Good luck
Mark

HyperBaja 01-20-2003 07:03 PM

http://www.bajamarine.com/speed/built.asp

On how their built

www.bajamarine.com is the baja site.

Steve_H 01-20-2003 07:18 PM

BankerRon , if your thinking about the 272 at perry dont waste your time. saw it saturday and it has had the snott beat out of it.

it had stress cracks , a torn bolster , and was filthy all over. i dont think the owner took very good care of it.

my feeling is like many others , alot of bang for the buck.

Dock Holiday 01-20-2003 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another shot. By the way, they are not perfect. I think they could do a little better job of rigging in the engine compartment. On the 36, it is currently in the shop getting a new headliner in the cuddy. No one knows what happened with the headliner, but Baja is taking care of it and has been good to work with.

Dock Holiday 01-20-2003 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One More

Dock Holiday 01-20-2003 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cuddy

Von Bongo 01-20-2003 07:37 PM

Good Looking boat Doc.

Whattlshe do with "normal" gear and fuel and what do you normally cruise at RPM/MPH?

Dock Holiday 01-20-2003 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Von Bongo
Good Looking boat Doc.

Whattlshe do with "normal" gear and fuel and what do you normally cruise at RPM/MPH?

Von,

The best I have seen has been 73 MPH on the GPS at 4850 RPM. The fuel tank is 235 gallons and the boat is always loaded down with a lot of gear. We overnight almost everytime we take it out.

Turning 26 pitch bravo 1, 4-blades, standard XZ drives, 1.5:1 ratio.

I just had the props labbed and added billet air filters. Also took off the factory mufflers and put on straight tips. I hope to see 1-2 more miles per hour. I think on a perfect day without a lot of gear it is a 75 MPH boat.

The ride and handling are AWESOME!