If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Baja boats

Warp & Woof
    Baja Daze

It's warp & woof...and some people have probably wondered about where we came up with our boat's documented name.

BTW here's a cool Baja picture I found on the web.

Warp & Woof
    I'll try again...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by SABER28
    donman, after you spend 30k on a 23 foot boat (remember it's 1989) and you cannot get a reply to over 20 phone calls, you tend to use whatever method you can to get somebodies attention.

majority of the problems with the boat were that it was built to the standards of a 16 foot bowrider that does 40 mph and not a boat that does 70mph.

maybe the newer ones are better built i have no idea, but the ones built in the late 80's and early 90's definitely had some problems.
    maybe the newer ones are better built i have no idea, but the ones built in the late 80's and early 90's definitely had some problems.
    No, not ALL of them!

I see the post of the ones not so impressed with the Baja....all are in the 80's and if I am not mistaken, that is not the same Baja company that makes them today. Not sure of the date and year but there was a change of ownership back in that area of time.

Funny that headliners were mentioned. My friend has a 97 38 Special that he bought used in 2000. The headliner was completely fallen when he purchased it. Baja will not fix it.

My Boats:
    1993 Stryker
    Prospect, Ky
    Originally posted by jb
    wow a thread on Baja Quality that hasn't gone south!!! Very nice to see the board play nice for a change!!!
    yea kinda like the Blackhawk thread in the Tech section
    Last edited by Dixie Doug; 01-22-2003 at 07:28 AM.

My Boats:
    1998 saber 28
    jenison mi
    Originally posted by KC Baja
    If you bought the boat new, and it was definately warranty items during the warranty period, I would understand. But, if you were the second or third owner I would not expect any manufacturer of a boat 13 years old stand up to issues such as you describe.

My '92 has held up beautifully. No complaints here.
    i bought this boat new in 1989 from keenan marine.

this boat was built with some of the poorest quality workmanship and materials i have seen.some of the parts were so poorly constructed they might as well used duct tape. i wore out two screwdrivers trying to keep it in one piece.

if you like your boat great, i'll just tell you that my experiences are not unique and have heard others with the same problems.

some of the problems included parts that were completely inadequate to do their job, cuddy walls that were held up with 6 tiny #8 wood screws that let the entire wall fall down with 2 hours on the boat.

lag bolts holding a 365 horse motor down, totally unacceptable in a boat that could run 70 mph, especially when used with the high tech piece of plastic conduit jamed in the hole to take up the slack of the stripped out bolt.

i could go on and on , but at some point it just seams like piling on.

Charter Member #300 Charter Member Shooter's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '02 Sonic Prowler
    Palm Harbor, FL
    my three bajas were all mid-90's , 95 208, 94 Shooter, 96 302.

Might want to stick there...

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Warp and Woof,

I've heard it both ways. We use "weft" in daily conversation here at the plant. Most of our suppliers refer to it as weft also. Both are acceptible. Here's one for example:

Solomons Island, Md

It does seem like lots of folks are complaining about boats made in the 80's. That doesn't mean much now. Afterall, Ford once made a car called the Pinto and Chevy once made one called the Vega.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast