Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Who is the best Tarpon, Permit, bonefish Capt. in Marathon, Florida? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41522-ot-who-best-tarpon-permit-bonefish-capt-marathon-florida.html)

CBR 01-20-2003 07:35 PM

OT: Who is the best Tarpon, Permit, bonefish Capt. in Marathon, Florida?

I'll be in Marathon, Florida in Feb.

Who should I book my permit, tarpon and bonefish charter with?

Half live bait and half flyfishing.

Thanks,

Chris

C_Spray 01-20-2003 07:48 PM

Jose Wejebe

You've seen him on EPSN's "Spanish Fly", and I've fished with him for 10 years. He's the best and baddest, but be prepared to fish hard!

[email protected]

Tell him that Chuck from Penske sent you.

US1 Fountain 01-20-2003 08:30 PM

I spent all of Xmas-NY's in Marathon. Key Colony to be exact. Didn't go out myself, but there are tons of charter boats every where you look. Marathon Lady, I think is more of a group charter boat. The best looking operations in my opinion was at Holiday Isle in Islamirada(sp) just 15-20 min. back N. We watched them come in in the afternoons with loads of Tarpon and Grouper. They seemed to have the best catch between them and Marathon.

Ryan Beckley 01-20-2003 09:38 PM

I just asked some of my fishing friends and they said that if you go down to Big Pine Key to the No Name Fish camp that there are good Captains there, it's about 20 miles south of Marathon driving. Also I think it was John Johnson in Marathon was another good one.

THRILLSEEKER 01-20-2003 10:06 PM

CBR, my parents have been in Big Pine all winter and do a lot of fishing I will have them check w/ some of the locals and see who's got the best rep. I think that they do most of their fishing around the 7 mile bridge. I am not sure what they fish for though:confused:

JB-Cigarette 01-20-2003 10:08 PM

Currently living in Marathon . I fish with Capt Byron Farnes of Bait Runner Charters. He is out of Hawk's Cay Marina on Duck Key, about 15 mins north of Marathon. This past fall he guided a 12 old girl to a IGFA record Tarpon. If Byron can't help you, I know he will put you in touch with another guide who can help. Our you can go to (weeklyfisherman.com) its a good locals fishing paper. His ph num is (305) 743-7548 or 1-800-792-6680 baitrunnercharters.com :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Steve 1 01-20-2003 10:19 PM

Back when I was building Flyfishing Skiffs there was one name that kept popping up that was Flip Pallot.

You could try Hells Bay Boatworks some of the best guides use their Boats go to the website and click on Guides.

[email protected]

packinair 01-20-2003 11:19 PM

we have had a house in Cudjoe Key just south of marathon for going on 19 years now and I'll be damned if anyone is ever sober enough to get the bait on the hook without having to come back in and go get a hook me moved from some body part....so I can't help ya there.. However.. if that sounds of some interest let me know and I will have the boat put in and Glassdave and I will jump on a plane:D

CBR 01-20-2003 11:40 PM

Thanks guys, great tips!

I'll also be looking at tumbledown shacks in/around Big Pine Key with good waterfrontage to park the Sonic at during the NYC winter! A good local captain will not only give me and the wife some great fishing , but good real estate tips also.

Rent out the house, stay in the boat for a few weeks every winter would stop me from going even more wacky every winter.

I want to see Key Deer and live in the mangroves....just a NYC hillbilly.

packinair 01-20-2003 11:44 PM

Originally posted by CBR

I want to see Key Deer and live in the mangroves....just a NYC hillbilly.

don't hit one.. they will impound your car and it is a felony and a pain in the ass to deal with:rolleyes: :rolleyes: