Notices

Nordic Heat

Old 01-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nordic Heat

Does anyone have any experience with the 28 Nordic Heat. Is it a good strong boat? will it handle a 500 EFI well? How fast will the 500 take it? any other bits of info?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Go to the Owners Forum, Nordic section. Look at the posts from the past 60 days, there's some info there. To answer your question in brief, yes it will handle a 500EFI and a whole lot more very well. I run mine in Long Island Sound and it does well. If you need specific info on how it's built (stringers, glass, etc.) let me know, I've been to the factory several times and had mine apart while I was making some mods. 500EFI will get you an honest 70-72.

Last edited by Indy; 01-21-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Hey blkspringer,

I have a 2001 Heat I bought new last spring and "love it". I agree with Indy it will take 500 efi and a lot more. As for a top end it depends on the elevation you run. I run most of the time between 3800 and 500 ft in the Colorado and surrounding states. At these elevations you wont run that fast, even at lower elevation I would guess 70ish.... Happy to answer any other questions.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I got on one wat the Chicago show for the first time. I was amazed at how big the Heat is for a 28 footer. Has to be one of the biggest 28's on the market. Nice cabin, big cockpit.

How does it handle the rough water of the LI Sound??? I boat Lake Michigan, do you think it would fare well up here? There are NONE in this area that I know of. A few 35's now, and there is now a Nordic dealer in Kalamazoo (about a half hour from Grand Rapids) so I'm thinking there will be some 28's running around here soon. I would put this on my list of "next" boats when I start looking for it.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Mr. Wolverine...er...'Foul, at my end of the Sound the water is primarily 3s on an average day. Short and steep waves are the norm. 2s & 4s are the typical highs and lows, however it kicks up big time when the weather/wind is in the mood, I just stay off it those days. The boat does great in these waters, however when it gets to 4's, it's not that fun. Maybe it's my mediocre throttle arm, but I'll hang around the islands with 4s and bigger. 28 feet is 28 feet and nothing is a subsititue for a bigger boat. It flys level and lands well when you get in that rhythm with the throttle. I've only been on Lake Mich once so I don't know what type of wave/chop you get at your end/side of the lake. You're right about it being a big 28, it is a very comfortable boat to drive and hang out on. It does take some HP to push it, I only get 67 out of the 496HO, but that's fast enough sometimes on my waters. If I had it to do over again, 540 all the way. Hope that helps. If you ever want more info...let me know.
Mr. Buckeye...er...Steve
Old 01-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Registered

The guy that I do all of my boating with has had 2 Nordics over the last 5 years, a 25 Scandia and a 25 Rage. Nordic builds a very nice lake boat. It is fast for every size they build. They have a wide beem so there is lots of room for moving around. They do a real nice job with their gel coat work and the finish is excellent. We do most of our boating on Havasu so I have talked with numerous other Nordic owners as well and everyone that does most of their boating at Havasu is happy with their boat.

On the down side, the glass is very thin, hence the light fast hull. When you hit a large wave you feel it. They also have a large pad which makes them fast in the flats but again is no fun when it gets rough.

I have put over 300 hours inside a Nordic and would recommend them if you want to go fast without spending a fortune on engine's(and gas), but if you want a boat to handle well in less than perfect conditions, I would look at another line.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:56 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Waterfoul,
We use to have a 28 Heat (non step) and would run it on Lake Michigan by Illinois/Wisc border. It went pretty good out there. We would run it in 2-3' but much more than that it was not as comfortable for us. I am sure if you ran the speed up and started skipping across the wave tops it would be better but we didn't do that type of running. It was a great boat and we loved it.

We currently have the 35 Flame and that is a whole differnet boat. We only run Lake Michigan now and it works great.

I don't know if you remember but I talked with you, G-Force and Mnfastbt at the OSO gathering when it was in Chicago that fall.

Wally, we are waiting for you to setup another one of those!

Rick
Old 01-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

Hi Blakspringer,

In my post I miss typed and meant to say we mostly boat between 3800 and “5000” feet elevation, take a bunch out of the HP. As to your email question, I don’t have a 500 in my boat. I have a 502efi with simple mods (exhaust, ship, filter, etc.) but in the process of having a M-3 Procharger installed, hope to get about 660 hp or so when done.

Based on the year I have run the boat, she seems to wake up (no pun intended) with some chop and runs better then on smooth water actually. We boat on inland lakes in the Colorado area and Havasu, Ozarks, Flaming Gorge, Powell and yes with some really big waves it could be tough with this size of boat, but every boat has it’s limits. Even in some good size waves/storms I haven’t got to a point of feeling uncomfortable of her abilities.

Powerboatin………….
Old 01-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Powerboatin...you're absolutely right about the chop, this hull works much better with some chop. If we get one of those "dog days" in August where it is flat calm, or just some gentle rolls, it totally blows. Once you get some speed up and start flying across the tops of the waves when it's choppy, the hull really starts to perform.

I wouldn't worry about the glass work either, this boat has been run for two years in conditions that don't resemble Havasu in the slightest, but has held up just fine.

Last edited by Indy; 01-22-2003 at 10:07 AM.