Notices

Offshore Mounts

Old 01-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offshore Mounts

Anyone have a picture of an offshore motor mount. Are there different types manufacturers or should I stick with Mercruiser. I am putting an HP coupler on my new 540 and considering changing the L-bracket mounts as well while the motor is out.

Thanks,
Old 01-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The design of my engine bay forced me to use a stock style mount. The offshore mounts require a vertical angle bracket, but because of the tunnels, I had to use a horizontal one. I knew that I didn't want a rubber mount because they were prone to moving around. The problem was solved when Eddie Marine came out with a billet mount. It's simular in design to the factory mount, but it's solid. It's also very nicely crafted and is quite attractive.

I used 4 1/2" bolts that passed through the stringer. Because of spacing I was forced to align all the bolts, however it would be better to stagger them. The connection would be much stronger. I believe the angle was a 3"x3"x1/2" 9" long. To help distribute the load and to dress things up, I also used the billet washers under the bolt head. I've seen some people use a piece of bar stock to help distribute the load onto the stringer. That setup would have better pull through resistance than mine. Between the nut and the angle, I used a stainless AN washer to prevent galling. The bolts were stainless button heads that were polished.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Here is a pic. You can just barely see the angle on the right.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ok, I don't know why these appear so dang small. Here is a tiny blow up shot...
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2003, 01:04 PM
CRUBOSS

are you asking about the engine mounts on the motor or the mounting hardware in the boat.? keith eickert makes a large variety of engine motor mounts. single , cat . side by side , staggard..... ect. let me know.

Old 01-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Registered

Thanks Cord,

From what I can see in the picture, that is exactly what I was thinking of. I will check out Eddie Marine.

Did you have any issues with aligning the motor/drive with the new mount or did you hang the long block and use an alignment tool when installing the new mount?

My motor is currently mounted as it was from the factory on L-brackets bolted through the inside of the stringers about 2" down from the top; and I would like to use a cradel type of offshore mount to help distribute any stress.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Registered

Cruboss,

I am talking about the hardware inside the boat as well as the mounts to the engine. I am looking for one piece cradle type for a single V.

Thank you I will check out KE also.

Last edited by Aggressor 25; 01-21-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Registered

That is a standard Mercruiser part that you can purchase from BAM marine online or others sell them out of the back of powerboat magazine.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:16 PM
CRUBOSS

aggressor 25

i have a single v hull alum. motor mount. i will let go cheap. are you using a brovo style transom mount ? or do you need a rear motor mount also. ?

Old 01-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Registered

Cruboss,

I am using the standard bravo style transom mount along with through bolted angle iron L-brackets up front and would be interested in both.

Email me at [email protected] or call 703.628.5137

Quick Reply: Offshore Mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.