Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   41 Apache "Hoggie" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41590-41-apache-hoggie.html)

Sea-Min 01-21-2003 07:57 PM

You should see that boat on the Florida Powerboat video. It was flying in Destin for that Poker run last summer. When I mean flying I mean Flying. It hit a wave and went straight up in the air, twice.

Unbelievable footage. Maybe call Stu Jones for owner info.

X-Rated30 01-21-2003 08:11 PM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
No, but I knew a man named Hoggie.
He was born paralyzed from the waist down. He lived in a poor neighborhood with his sister's family and was around 50 when I met him. He got around walking on his knuckles and dragged his shriveled-up legs behind him.

My old shop was backed up to his neighborhood. He used to come and borrow money. He'd borrow $20 and at the end of the month when "his check" would come, he would pay it back. Two or three days later he would re-borrow it.

Sometimes I would let him sit on the couch inside the front door and holler when somebody needed to come in (we kept the front door locked when nobody was up front cause we would lose typewriters and calculators otherwise). I would pay Hoggie in RC Colas.

One day we fixed his wagon for him (an old red Radio Flyer). I put ball bearings in the wheels, reinforced the axle brackets and added a handbrake to it for him. A few days later (it was nice weather and the overhead doors were open) we heard him hollering and he sped by the shop headed down the big hill towards the railroad tracks. All we could do was run out front and watch him launch over the tracks (talk about "big air")...

He wasn't hurt badly - I had put the brake on the side where his "bad" hand was and he couldn't grasp the brake to pull it...

A church gave him an old wheelchair for him to go to church with after the wagon incident. Once again, I rebuilt it and made it functionally better than new (I even pop riveted an aluminum company ID tag on it with my company name and phone number). The State Fair was in town and he "hired" some neighborhood teenagers to push him to the fair so he could watch the people. Once they got him there, they asked for their $5 and then abandoned him. After he was abandoned, other kids dumped him out of the chair and stole it from him. Cops found the kids pushing each other across busy traffic in the chair the next day, and called me since my number was on the tag. I went to meet them and get the chair and asked about "Hoggie". They had no idea what I was talking about and when I told them about him, we all went to the fairgrounds and found him huddled under on of the Ferris Wheel equipment trailers where he had crawled to keep warm that night. His sister had called the police looking for him but they had not found him that night (he probably didn't recognize their voices)...

We moved the business from that location in 1987. Saw in the newspaper a few years back where he had died. Johnnie Marvin (Hoggie) Talbot, I believe was his full name.

Pitiful as he was, he was about as happy a guy as I've ever known. He sure didn't worry himself about many of the things that give all of us ulcers. We could all learn a little from him..

*** Course THIS is probably a DIFFERENT Hoggie than the one you are looking for, eh?? ***

Are you guys heartless?!?!? This has got to be the saddest freakin' story I have ever heard! It sounds like a country-western song! Holy cow!!!:( :( :( :( :(

liquid asset 01-21-2003 08:16 PM

The guy who owns Hoggie is from La. not alabama

Ryan Beckley 01-22-2003 09:44 AM

Hoggie ran P2 at the SBI worlds. VERY un impressive BOTH days for a supposed 100+ boat. That boat used to be called COUGAR at one time and did some class 1 racing in europe in the 80's. It's been AROUND!

GeoGraphics INC 01-22-2003 01:01 PM

If I remember correctly that boat belonged to the Seahawk boys, it was shipped to England and they raced a couple of races then the S$#@ hit the fan and the boat ended up at Cougar and had Seahawk removed and Cougar put on, It sat there in the shops at Hamble for years and was shipped back, the guy that owned it was Joe Rupert he also owned Apache landings with a guy named Juan Almeda two quite colorful guy's.......... There is another Seahawk boat up here although most of you will have never seen it ,It was built in England by the Cunninghams and has the engines mounted on top of the tunnel......THe boat looks like a giant hydro.

bodyguardracing 01-22-2003 06:23 PM

THE COUCH AT THE MANOR

HEY MIKE HOW THE HELL ARE YOU !!!!!!!JEFF T-MAN:hothead:

BigMike 01-22-2003 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would the real Hoggie please stand up? And it did!

WickedWon 01-23-2003 06:47 AM

Originally posted by loosecannon22
The boat was sold recently to a guy out in Alabama?? or somewhere mid-country. they have tweeked it and supposivly have it running 106 mph. I know this because I am trying to buy a boat from fort apache right now and got into a conversation about the boat with Ernie on sunday
Oh yeah, He sold it for 89 grand!!!!!!!!!!
someone got a great deal.

Did he say tweeked it or trailered it to 106mph, on a long downhill section those new PowerStrokes can really ........:D :D

BODYSHOT1 01-23-2003 09:41 AM

..trim??...what's trim????

:p

Smitty 01-23-2003 09:54 AM

I SAID TAKE ME TO THE MOON!!!!!:D :D :D :D