Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Ultimate Powerboat, what would you want? >

The Ultimate Powerboat, what would you want?

Notices

The Ultimate Powerboat, what would you want?

Old 01-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine: diesel(cummins, cat)
Propulsion: Trimax surface drives
Hull design: catamaran

I would be willing to forgo the cabin.

vtec
Old 01-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Intolerant1

Somthing pretty much like the 51' Outerlimits.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see, if I could have any boat, it would have to be:

Between 36 and 40 foot in length

Don't know if I want a cat or vee hull, never rode in a cat or seen how much cabin they have.

A full usefull stand-up cabin with head and shower (wife wouldn't have it any other way). Fridge, microwave, stove (2 burner maybe?).

Top line audio/visual system.

Comfortable cockpit with side by side helm seating.
Similar to the A.T. with the port side cabin entrance.

Top line instrumentation, mechanical indicators and a GPS chart plotter.

K-planes.

Hydraulic helm control.

Enough reliable power to hit 80 mph, ultimate top speed is not necessary. No high strung 1000hp motors please, and make them fresh water cooled while you're at it. Diesels would be acceptable.

Fuel capacity for decent range.

Drive system stout enough to take the abuse without breaking, maybe Pulse Drive or Arnson.

Don't know if I'd want a generator or not, never had a boat that needed one.

A/C?......not sure if I'd want it, I don't go out on the water to stay "indoors" where it's A/C cooled. All the boat needs is good ventilation. If it did have A/C I would need a generator to power it.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thank you all for the ideas and the emails. Any more ideas on a cat? If we built a vee, should it have the wings?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On a larger V hull from 35' and up I would forgo the wings... or put the styling sue on the boat. The "size" of them I think would be huge if they had to be in proportion to the boat. Reliable power is a must, not some crazy big HP blower motor, but a naturally aspirated in the range of 600-700 HP works. Good reliable drive, An XR or possibly surface drive.

Possibly two versions of the boat could be offered. A poker run edition with a minimum cabin, and a regular edition with a nicely appointed cabin with a nice list of availible options. The poker run edition could also possibly have "bigger" power availible to it.

Full instruments are a must of course, GPS speedometer, trim and drive indicators, etc. the cockpit area could also be offerd in two configureations. the "regular" with twin stand-up bolsters and a bench seat in the back, and full stand up in all areas front and back(possibly in the poker-run edition). Spotless rigging goes unsaid, its a must.

A full rang of graphics would also be nice. From bare white so the customer can have it painted at their own facility. To the full one off crazy paint.

I think this kinda covers it?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Steps to the Bow from cockpit, a large engine compartment that makes it easy to maintain, Anchor locker.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Highest level of build quality/fit and finish.Full access to all systems.Able to live in harsh salt water environment.
And able to get at least 10mpg @ 60mph

Gas just went up to $6 a gallon last week and no-one's even fired a missile yet !
Old 01-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Registered

This 44-foot Cat would be someone's "ultimate boat". However, I like to visit different lakes, so I would need a "trailerable boat".

To me a "trailerable boat" is no longer than 40 feet, no wider than 8'6" and weighs no more than 10,000 pounds.

Cat or Vee it doesn't matter, but I would like a nice cabin that a six-foot man and his wife could comfortably sleep in for two or three nights.

It would definitely need to qualify as a second home, so I would need a head (with a shower) and a galley.

As for power, I think triples are insane, so I would opt for twins. Many Engine / Outdrive packages could be offered. If price is a consideration, then I would get HP500s (with XR drives) and add Whipple superchargers. If money is not a consideration, then I would get the Merc 1050SC's!

I would also want Air Conditioning, Shore Power, a Gen-Set, and a kicka$$ stereo!
Old 01-22-2003, 02:28 PM
packinair

I would have to say something I can afford to buy and run/maintain on unemployment

Old 01-23-2003, 07:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Rest assured everything will be top Quality and the rigging will be impeccable. I'll never forget the reason I started building boats in the first place.

We are off today, thank you for all the great input, and we will keep you posted on the results. Feel free to email anything else that comes to mind.

[email protected]

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Powerboat, what would you want?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.