Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I'm beginning to think that Formula might just be a front for the Devil... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41644-im-beginning-think-formula-might-just-front-devil.html)

dockrocker 01-23-2003 08:46 AM

Back, back evil one!!! Damn, those painted hullsides do look nice.... and I bet they won't fade like gelcoat would.

Magicfloat - thanks for the thoughts on the rebate vs. financing - definitely something we'll think about, though I don't think we'll be buying this year (Momma is being strong for both of us :D )

As for the domain name, there is a substantial amount of case law in this area. Basically, if the guy has no association or reason for registering nelemsmarine, and you do, it is against the law for him to sit on the name, let alone redirect it to another site. Since you've been Nelem's Marine for umpteen years, I'd say you've got a good case. Having your lawyer send the squatter a letter (and one to Park as well) will probably do the trick. Otherwise, take the prick to court, you will almost certainly win.

Donzi38ZX 01-23-2003 10:45 AM

Originally posted by dockrocker

As for the domain name, there is a substantial amount of case law in this area. Basically, if the guy has no association or reason for registering nelemsmarine, and you do, it is against the law for him to sit on the name, let alone redirect it to another site. Since you've been Nelem's Marine for umpteen years, I'd say you've got a good case. Having your lawyer send the squatter a letter (and one to Park as well) will probably do the trick. Otherwise, take the prick to court, you will almost certainly win.

I agree, I would also contact his registrar and make them aware of the situation. They may have more to offer, use the technical contact phone number from the whois post.

Steve

Uncle Toys 01-23-2003 10:59 AM

Hey Dockrocker, I was thinking about your situation this morning. If you spent the down payment on landscaping you would probably end up so ashamed you would fade away on OffShoreOnly.com and end up posting on LandscapingOnly.com!

I don't know, I just can't see you as "sodrocker." :D :D :D

Shorty 01-23-2003 11:18 AM

Magic - tell the rat bastard his violation of cyber-squatting laws has cost you sales, perhaps some of the 80+ boats he's bragging about, and that your attorney will be seeking to recoup the lost profits in addition to the domain name. I think you could make a case for it.

That ought to get it transferred back real fast ;)

dockrocker 01-23-2003 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Uncle Toys
Hey Dockrocker, I was thinking about your situation this morning. If you spent the down payment on landscaping you would probably end up so ashamed you would fade away on OffShoreOnly.com and end up posting on LandscapingOnly.com!

:D Maybe I'll have to change my nom de cyber to grasswhacker....

I think I'll at least run the numbers at the boat show, see what's what. We have a new Formula dealer here in town, and I haven't heard anything good or bad about them - which is strange, because they are one of the bigger dealerships in the area. On the whole, I'd much rather do business with Magicfloat or another OSO contributor when the time comes... hey UT, how about fixing that stock market gizmo - that would make my boat buying plans much easier :D

Steamin Rice 01-23-2003 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Uncle Toys

UT is on a roll today.....:D

MooseKnuckle 01-23-2003 12:41 PM

Dockrocker...we are looking at a Formula also (370 SS or 400 SS). If you buy new, I would take the time and buy from Magicfloat vs some of the dealers in OH and MI. He has been very honest with me everytime I have talked to him or emailed.

But Too Old is right about driving down the price of used Formulas. I found out yesterday a boat wholeseller bought a 2001 400 SS with 500 EFI's for $175K (a boat I was looking at last year) and sold it again for about $195. Boat was in very nice condition. Compare that to a price of a newer 2002 and 2003 and you will see what Too Old is talking about.

We to will be going to the Detroit Boat Show, but probably not buying from around town.

I would also look at finding a used 2002 with the transferrable warranty.

Best of luck!!!

dockrocker 01-23-2003 12:54 PM

96Vyper, I was wondering when you'd show up in this thread :) I'm really thinking used as well - taking the hit on one new boat was enough, though if we keep it for a while, the financing options may make it worthwhile....

Uncle Toys 01-23-2003 01:00 PM

Originally posted by dockrocker
:D hey UT, how about fixing that stock market gizmo - that would make my boat buying plans much easier :D
Bro, that's old news. The bear market ended back on October 9th. Going to need a better excuse than that!

Tell you what. To show how I can be "responsible" too, my wife and I will meet up with you and yours in Miami and help you "run the numbers"......right after I buy the drinks at the bar....he,he,he

Uncle Toys 01-23-2003 01:20 PM

Wait a minute, could this be right:eek: he,he,he....