If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    New Hampshuu !!

Exclamation OT: McDonald's lawsuit dismissed !!!

Finally.....a judge with some balls (must be a Republican appointee...... )

The Associated Press
    Wednesday, January 22, 2003; 12:21 PM

NEW YORK –– A federal judge on Wednesday dismissed a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of New York children that claimed McDonald's food caused them to suffer health problems including diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.

"If consumers know (or reasonably should know) the potential ill health effects of eating at McDonald's, they cannot blame McDonald's if they, nonetheless, choose to satiate their appetite with a surfeit of supersized McDonald's products," U.S. District Court Judge Robert Sweet said in a 65-page ruling.

"One necessary element of any potentially viable claim must be that McDonald's products involve a danger that is not within the common knowledge of consumers. ... Plaintiffs have failed to allege with any specificity that such a danger exists."

McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker said in a statement that "common sense has prevailed. We said from the beginning that this was a frivolous lawsuit. Today's ruling confirms that fact."

Attorney Samuel Hirsch, who represents the plaintiffs, had argued that the high fat, sugar and cholesterol content of McDonald's food is "a very insipid, toxic kind of thing" when ingested regularly by children. According to McDonald's Web site, a Big Mac packs 590 calories and 34 grams of fat while a large order of french fries weighs in at 540 calories and 26 grams of fat.

Hirsch said the public may generally understand that fast-food burgers and fries are not health food, but does not realize just how bad they can be.

He did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.

My Boats:
    Boatless... Damn...
    THATS what we need more of in this country!!!!!

Good! It's about time this kind of crap gets thrown out. Now they need to work on getting the people and those who represent them in these frivolus suits to pay for the court costs and defendants fees

Diamond Member #001 Charter Member C_Spray's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
    Coastal North Carolina
    I'll bet Too Old is breathing a sigh of relief......
    Retired! Boating full-time now.

Gold Member Gold Member Turbojack's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona
    Houston, TX, USA
    Good! It's about time this kind of crap gets thrown out. Now they need to work on getting the people and those who represent them in these frivolus suits to pay for the court costs and defendants fees
    I second it. If the person that starts the suit has to pay if he loses then I think the amount of these wild suits would stop.

Maybe things are looking up.

My Boats:
    boating , old wood boats &old cars
    BIrmingham, MI, USA
    GOOD!!!!!!! now lets keep that up.!!!!!

Charter Member #34 Charter Member Dock Holiday's Avatar
    Beautiful North Carolina

We need to put an end to these idiots and their bull****.

Its about time that someone with a political position acts upon what is right instead of wrong because they are worried about offending someone and loosing votes the next go round.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Steve 1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Slippery when wet!
    Beautiful Fort Lauderdale

Thumbs up

Looks good TooOld!
    Slippery when wet. "POD" Free Tunnel through Common Sense Engineering

WHAT A BUNCH OF NUT ! anything for a buck... try working for your money !