Notices

canada to the us.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default canada to the us.

just wondering if anyone ever purchased a boat from canada in the us . if so what type of title difference between here and there.mine will be in oklahoma does anyone know if you need serial inspections as you do on cars etc.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Registered

Default title

johnny: I have bought and sold boats to the U.S.
Canadian "titles" do not exsist. All you will recieve is a document of registration which shows the reg numbers and owner noterized by custom and revenue. Once the previous owner has signed the back and you have a bill of sale It"s yours. In canada most banks may have a lean but do not hold the ownership.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check with your Secretary of State or DMV office to find out what kind of documentation you need to provide to them in order to have a title in Oklahoma created.

Try this link. It appears to have some of the info your looking for.

http://www.dmv-department-of-motor-v...r_vehicles.htm

Last edited by Playn; 01-20-2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default borderline

thanks i have been waiting to get this boat and now were down to making sure we can receive some type of papers so we can title it . not documentation. actually have a title
Old 01-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Registered

Borderline, what keeps the owner of the document of registration from selling the boat or property without the leanholder knowing? Is it the buyers responsibility to research the piece of property to see if it has a lean on it?
Old 01-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Registered

mpally:
There is nothing stopping you from selling without the lein holder knowing. I have never had any trouble in the past but as long as you have a bill of sale and paper work to prove then the bank will go after the seller. Although they cannot repo the boat they will charge the seller for fraud and seize something else. I do not think they can come after the boat because it is a legal sale.
You can do a check on their credit bureau for about $25 dollars on the net or ask your own banker but I think you need the cooperation of the seller.
sorry I cannot be of more help. I have never had any problems in the 5 dealings I have had.
For your title you need to take the reg and the bill of sale to your DMV. and they will give you new reg and charge you state and fed. taxes (whatever is applicable). Make sure the seller does not charge you provincial tax.
Hope this helps

jeff
Old 01-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Do all boats have titles?
I don't think I ever got a title on my Sea Ray OR Formula, and I KNOW for sure that I never got one on my smaller boats or jetskis... (Tennessee).
What's up with that? Do I need to file for titles or something?

I had to show that I had paid sales tax on all of them to get them "registered" but never was asked to show title or anything.

And all of them were bought new, cept for the Whaler and the Ultra150.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

No not all states require titles actual in Connecticut you can just register it as a homemade boat and be done with it.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Registered

I purchased my current boat in Vancouver, British Columbia in November 2001. Be careful and have ALL the potential import/export stuff checked out.

If the boat was not originally built in the US, you may owe import duties. If it was originally built in the US, as mine was, then there should be no duties.

Also, you will need an EPA form for "Importation of Nonroad Engines Incorporated into Nonroad Equipment or Vehicles". (I can fax you a copy) US Customs may ask for it and if you don't have it in hand it could mean the boat will not be admitted into the US until it is completed.

The best thing to do is check the US and Canadian customs website and call the port of entry you plan to use. Tell them what you plan to do and they will tell you what you need. Be sure to talk to someone that knows about boat importation or you might just get the "It's no big deal" story.

If you are trading a boat in that will be transported to Canada, it is a whole 'nother story. It includes taxes, taxes, taxes. I did that as well and can give you some pointers if needed.

As an alternative, you could just say it's your boat that you took up there for some work earlier in the year and are now bringing it home. However, that is smuggling and if your caught you won't get to use the boat any way!!!

Finally, allow plenty of time at customs.

Good Luck, Jeff

PS - Let's see some pictures!!

Last edited by jbrauer; 01-21-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Do all boats have titles?
Mike - No titles for offroad vehicles or trailers in TN. Commercial trailers may be the exception.

BTW - Darn Titans - I had been picked in the lottery for Super Bowl tickets and now I don't get to use 'em. Maybe next year!

Jeff

Quick Reply: canada to the us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.