Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   COLD weather coming.....help me out. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41660-cold-weather-coming-help-me-out.html)

97BossHammer 01-22-2003 04:18 PM

COLD weather coming.....help me out.

I store my boat outside covered by a tarp. The only thing I have done is pulled all the drain plugs and let all the water out so it won't freeze. I'm in Mississippi and temps are supposed to get in to the 10-13 mark tomorrow night. Is there anything I should do........or will she be fine?

Magicfloat 01-22-2003 04:27 PM

You are fine IF you got all the plugs out and none were stopped up with silt or corrosion. If all the water is out, there is nothing to freeze. But if you missed a plug or if no water ran out due to a clogged hole,could be a problem . When we winterize, if no water runs out we always run a rod or coathanger or whatever in the hole to make sure it's not clogged. Sometimes exhaust manifolds don't ftain water so we always check. Biggest problem is missing a drain plug,happens every year to a few guys that do their own winterizing.

THEJOKER 01-22-2003 04:40 PM

be on the safe side...........

Burn a light bulb in the bildge and you'll never have to worry about your engine freezing. Make sure the bulb is not touching anything and it is secure. I've had a Mastercraft for 19 years and have never winterized it. BH

Magicfloat 01-22-2003 05:02 PM

BH,what do you do when the power goes off?:) Have a buddy with a 35 Fountain,had engine heaters in the bilge. Big storm, power stayed off for days, 2 burst motors.:(Can't believe you would admit to being an inboard skiboat owner on OSO,LOL,:)

rbtnt 01-22-2003 09:12 PM

fire up the generator:)

liquid asset 01-22-2003 09:28 PM

Re: COLD weather coming.....help me out.

Originally posted by 97BossHammer
I store my boat outside covered by a tarp. The only thing I have done is pulled all the drain plugs and let all the water out so it won't freeze. I'm in Mississippi and temps are supposed to get in to the 10-13 mark tomorrow night. Is there anything I should do........or will she be fine?
pull the hoses off the impeller housing to drain them

97BossHammer 01-23-2003 07:26 AM

Ok cool then I should be fine....when we took the plugs out a lot of water drained out so I don't think any were clogged. I hate leaving it out but it's the only choice I have. Thanks a lot guys.

Ratchet 01-23-2003 07:32 AM

Re: COLD weather coming.....help me out.

Originally posted by 97BossHammer
...............I'm in Mississippi and temps are supposed to get in to the 10-13 mark tomorrow night.
Lucky you........Here in S/E Michigan, it's only going to be 9 for the HIGH ! :o

CRUBOSS 01-23-2003 08:01 AM

the overnight lows here in florida are going to dip down into the 20's it is time to get out the electric underwear

97BossHammer 01-23-2003 10:43 AM

the overnight lows here in florida are going to dip down into the 20's it is time to get out the electric underwear
oh man yeah now your talkin.