Notices

OT: DSS System?

Old 01-23-2003, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: DSS System?

Cable raised rates again and I have had it. We are paying $86/mo. for full cable with all movie channels.

I desperately want to get into a Direct TV type system, but do not have a clue where to start. Would like to try and set up 3 separate receivers. Who's best? RCA, Hughes or Sony? I believe I will need two dishes with dual LNB? Is it best to just start with a system from a vendor vs. ebay?

Somebody get me started please!

Tim
Old 01-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I've had RCA DirectTV since it came out- was the first dish in town. We have a single dish with dual feed LNB, but only one receiver. We paid $699 for our system about 8 years ago!
Our cost is about what your cable rates are now for all the channels. (unless we PPV a bunch of movies)
Be prepared, once the promos wear off, your price/month with multiple dishes/receivers will be higher than what you are paying for cable right now. At least the equipment doesn't cost anything anymore.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Registered

You do not need two dishes. Use a high quality splitter designed for satelite. Run two receivers off one LNB and one off the other. Keep the RG6 cable lengths as short as possible to reduce signal loss. I split mine and still have readings in the hign 80s low 90s. As far as brands/ personal preference for menu system etc. I have sony because it meant one less remote (Sony TV)
Old 01-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Give me a call and I will help ya out as best I can. There are lots of things to consider hear and it would be easier to take care of with a phone call. (978) 985-0639

Jon
Old 01-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I pay $39.99/month and it includes locals and the movie channels and stuff.

Best Buy offered a 2-receiver setup for $84.00 that included professional installation, a $75 mail-in rebate, and a $25 Best Buy gift card. End result was about $12 spent and still had a $25 gift card, and the installer probably strung up a few bucks worth of RG-6 AND spent the 2 hours doing it (plus he used his professional dish aimer which would have taken me at least an additional 20 minutes on a cold ladder).

You don't split sattellite with a splitter - you use a multiswitch. The multiswitch combines the + signal from one LNB with the - signal from the other LNB, which gives you ALL the data.

Dual LNB to multiswitch, then the multiswitch splits the signal to a slew of receivers (however many you plan to use, get the right multiswitch on the front end).

Receivers vary in menu speed and features. Remotes are also different.

I got the "standard" receivers which work well. I added another receiver (hughes) that has DOlby Digital output and a radio-signal remote that works halfway across the house (got the receiver for $40 from Ebay).

My subscription cost is $39.99 + $5 for the second receiver + $5 for the third receiver with tax and all it is around $62