If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: OT: DSS System?

VIP Member VIP Member 26ZX Donzi's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2008 Sunsation 288 MCOB
    Itasca, IL

OT: DSS System?

Cable raised rates again and I have had it. We are paying $86/mo. for full cable with all movie channels.

I desperately want to get into a Direct TV type system, but do not have a clue where to start. Would like to try and set up 3 separate receivers. Who's best? RCA, Hughes or Sony? I believe I will need two dishes with dual LNB? Is it best to just start with a system from a vendor vs. ebay?

Somebody get me started please!

Platinum Member Charter Member
    My Boats:
    so. WI
    I've had RCA DirectTV since it came out- was the first dish in town. We have a single dish with dual feed LNB, but only one receiver. We paid $699 for our system about 8 years ago!
    Our cost is about what your cable rates are now for all the channels. (unless we PPV a bunch of movies)
    Be prepared, once the promos wear off, your price/month with multiple dishes/receivers will be higher than what you are paying for cable right now. At least the equipment doesn't cost anything anymore.

Whiting, IN
    You do not need two dishes. Use a high quality splitter designed for satelite. Run two receivers off one LNB and one off the other. Keep the RG6 cable lengths as short as possible to reduce signal loss. I split mine and still have readings in the hign 80s low 90s. As far as brands/ personal preference for menu system etc. I have sony because it meant one less remote (Sony TV)

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    Give me a call and I will help ya out as best I can. There are lots of things to consider hear and it would be easier to take care of with a phone call. (978) 985-0639

Put your best foot forward!

Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    I pay $39.99/month and it includes locals and the movie channels and stuff.

Best Buy offered a 2-receiver setup for $84.00 that included professional installation, a $75 mail-in rebate, and a $25 Best Buy gift card. End result was about $12 spent and still had a $25 gift card, and the installer probably strung up a few bucks worth of RG-6 AND spent the 2 hours doing it (plus he used his professional dish aimer which would have taken me at least an additional 20 minutes on a cold ladder).

You don't split sattellite with a splitter - you use a multiswitch. The multiswitch combines the + signal from one LNB with the - signal from the other LNB, which gives you ALL the data.

Dual LNB to multiswitch, then the multiswitch splits the signal to a slew of receivers (however many you plan to use, get the right multiswitch on the front end).

Receivers vary in menu speed and features. Remotes are also different.

I got the "standard" receivers which work well. I added another receiver (hughes) that has DOlby Digital output and a radio-signal remote that works halfway across the house (got the receiver for $40 from Ebay).

My subscription cost is $39.99 + $5 for the second receiver + $5 for the third receiver with tax and all it is around $62
    I see London, I see France...