Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Holy Chit!!!! It's COLD!... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41805-holy-chit-its-cold.html)

Strike 01-24-2003 10:10 AM

Just another day here in Buffalo. Sun shinning, no wind, and 0 degrees (not including wind chill).
Thank god for our new indoor heated storage building!

Shane 01-24-2003 10:40 AM

You guys are WIMPS! Like OTIS311 said...it was -23 the other day for like 3 days straight and has been highs of 5-15 all week. This weekend is supposed to be warm though.:mad: 25 degrees. I hope too much snow doesn't melt.

Donzi38ZX 01-24-2003 11:08 AM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
yeah, it was -3 here last night.
The water temp on the lake is 36 at 3 feet depth (bottom of the thru hull transducer).

Woke up kind of cooler than usual - felt the heat/ac vents at the house and lukewarm air coming out.

Checked the gas furnace and the flame wont stay lit for more than 25 seconds then off for 20... High efficiency furnace - draft motor - pvc flue venting. When the flame is "on" it looks and sounds perfect. Opened up the bottom of the return air duct box to make sure adequate airflow was getting thru unit to rule out anything there - no change.

House is "fine" - around 70 degrees, and the temps look to be climbing back upwards after today, but wondering what the issue may be.

There is a "draft" indicator that measures the vacuum the draft motor is pulling. There is an overheat sensor near the draft motor that cuts the flame if the combustion air is "too hot" when it reaches the draft motor (like inadequate thruflow of household air would cause). There is a backflash switch to kill the flame if the flame pops back out of the burner. Not sure where to look...

Ideas?

Ours did this and it was caused by not enough return air to the furnace. They added another vent. If your's had been working fine check the filter it may be reducing your airflow.

Strike 01-24-2003 12:54 PM

Shane

You are right, they just don't appreciate the beauty and sparkle
that graces our great state! There is so much to do here in the
winter.
BTW, hope you and others east of here make the run this year!

Strike

Steve 1 01-24-2003 02:37 PM

Yeah I am moving to Florida where it is Warm!:mad:

cobra marty 01-24-2003 08:36 PM

Just got a call from my neighbor in MD at our condo there and it seem that mine or the one under me has a broken water pipe and is leaking water out the walls. Water co turned off the water mains and tomorrow we will drive down. I leave the heat on at 60 degrees when we are not there. I hope it is ok. Allways something.

Mike 35 Fountain 01-24-2003 09:33 PM

mcollinstn,

could be that you're not getting enough fuel in. You did'nt say if it's propane tank or natural gas. If natural then the demand may be so high that natural lines can't meet increased demand.

eliminator219 01-25-2003 04:30 AM

Winter Freeze?

For all you Florida worriers, If all you are having is two hours a night of temps at freezing or better, dont worry about it! but in place of winterizing for a couple of days, put a light bulb in the engine compartment. the heat from it will give you peace of mind!!

eliminator219
From the land of snow and cold !!

Wild Horses 01-27-2003 07:47 AM

OK .... I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! IT IS -30C OR -20F THIS MORNING.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Allan4 01-27-2003 09:21 AM

-4 in Cincy this morning. Bright sunshine, blue skies, 4" fresh snow on top of the 4" already down......absolutely beautiful morning........;)