Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What happens when you brake a drive in a twin? >

What happens when you brake a drive in a twin?

Notices

What happens when you brake a drive in a twin?

Old 01-24-2003, 10:37 AM
packinair

I was running one night at just alittle over 80 at about 2:30am with the boat aired to the moon going under a bridge, lost my left motor just as I put the coals to it, ever drop an anchor off the port side with attatched to your front side cleat is about the best way to describe it..... I came within about 3 feet of hitting the bridge and just kept the throttle down so I would not come of plane (I can still run over 50 on 1 with the other dragging) and started started mixing captains.. scarry as hell

Old 01-24-2003, 10:45 AM
bobby daniels

lost them in several boats at speed only ,,oNLY #6 FOUNTAIN
WITH STAGGERED 1100'S GOT MY ATTENITION

Old 01-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Cat & Mice

I have lost an engine 4 times in my cat. All of the times I was going well over 100mph. 3 of the times it was the engine that does not have the power steering pump. In those cases it was scary but not totaly out of control. The time that the engine went with the power steering it was a litle worse but that time the engine actually blew up and was still turning 4000 rpm so it was not as bad as it could have been. All of the times I just held the wheel real tight and tryed to ease of the throttle. 2 of the times I restarted the engine that shut down and never went below 100 mph, That was soem quick moving.

I would say that if I did not have FULL HYD. Steerring to the helm I would not be around to talk about it!!

Pyle

Old 01-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have lost an engine in various twin cats at 100+ more than once (actually about 5 times). Pulls hard but not what I call life threatening. I also lost a drive (broke clean off) at the midsection on 22' twin O/B cat at about 70 mph and it was no big deal. I have broke the steering rams off a boat at 110 and that nearly twisted the boat. I have had the trim button stick in the on position at 110 mph, now that really scared the crap out me! Gonna break some stuff at high speed... The HTM crash may have been driver error.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your in for a long idle un less you trim the drive up and keep it on plane my cat has never acted bad and i have broke about 10 drives
Old 01-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Uncle Toys

My starboard engine blew on me at 80mph running up river last summer. Control was no big deal! I had practice pulling the throttles back up to 70 mph (both sides) – not very exciting. However, Cat&Mice hit on an important issue – loosing the power steering engine might make it hairy. Not sure how you could simulate that without unnecessary risk.

Actually, your question is probably better, what happens when a drive quits and the prop seizes up, or something hangs out and drags.

Regarding HTM, they were going 150mph and as T2X has said in the past, at that speed your first mistake will be your last.

Old 01-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I lost the power steering (starboard) engine at WFO in my 242LS- (seized after dropping the #2 intake valve) the boat did a 180 in less than a second on the rubrail. NOT something I ever want to experience again.
A 24 degree deadrise hull and McCleod bolsters kept us safe.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I carry a 19 pitch aluminum prop to come in on one with. I've only used it once, but it was dang nice to have it.

Can't plane on one with a 25 Mirage, but the 19" aluminum popped her right up and ran over 40 (cruised at 30 the fifteen miles I needed to go).

I did take the prop off the dead drive...
Old 01-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I lost a drive where the motor was still running but the prop locked up!
There is no way you can get the boat on plane. The more you try the higher the risk of overheating the other one.
Just sit back and enjoy the fact you have another to get you home.
Trailer wise pot it on like a crosswind landing in an airplane.
Line it up to the side that is out and at the last minute crank the wheel to straighten out the keel to set it on the trailer straight.
%Then cut the power
Then kiss the backside for a job well done.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I blew a drive at WOT and had a slight list to opposite side and slight tug at the steering wheel. I wish I had a small prop to plane on 1 drive with, thats a good idea! It was a long idle back to the dock, a @#$%#%@ butterfly passed me!

Quick Reply: What happens when you brake a drive in a twin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.