Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Excuses not to tow someone? >

Excuses not to tow someone?

Notices

Excuses not to tow someone?

Old 01-25-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell them you have a solid roller cam that can't idle for extended time. In my case its the truth.... I never mind short distances, but can't do the 2 mile+ thing. I always try to help them flag someone down though.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have towed many and have been towed a few times.

I agree..."It's the right thing to do"

What goes around comes around.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Registered

Default Towed and been towed

Hyperbaja, I have to agree with some of the other members here. I have been towed a couple of times and have never passed a boat in need without stopping to offer a tow. The only thing that I have never thought about, is that if something happens to them or their boat while you are towing them , I assume they could and probably would sue you. This is a sue crazy world. But , I guess I'll take my chances .
Old 01-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Registered

I will always offer assistance....as said" what comes around goes around".....the last itme I towed someone was while breaking in my new engine last fall....not too good for a break in ..but the right thing to do ...I'm just glad they were not far from the ramp...
Old 01-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Registered

Good excuse not to tow, when the idiot flags you down and when you get up to him he is out of gas and drunk. Had that experience once, why should the idiot take up my time on the lake, so I towed him out in the open so he could either get out and walk it the mile to his destination in three feet of water or flag someone else down.

Did tow someone into a canal and he told me it was deep, sucked up the bottom and burned up my water pump, he thanked me for the tow. So I am very careful in how I help people.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hyper,

You can't get farther than a mile from ramp on the lake you are on and I bet most of them stranded are out of gas.

I have towed and I have been towed, but the after the last time I was towed in 22 miles, I started carrying extra studs and during the following winter, I bought a boat with twins.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Registered

I have towed and been towed before.

Last year I bought a Formula with twins, never thought I would need a tow. After the first 3 hours running the boat, my steering broke at the helm joint and a bayliner towed me 1/2 mile to the ramp. I tried to offer him money, but he wouldn't take it. As he pulled away, I threw it in his cockpit and thanked him.

I never ask for money to tow anyone, but if they offer enough for gas, I'll take it. I believe we need to help anyone that needs it.

Toolman
Old 01-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally posted by birdog
Keep towing them Hyper....It is the "right" thing to do....

Remember......Someday it WILL be you !!!!!
Has happened twice once out of gas, then next, a burnt up belt. I know it is the right thing to do, but when Im towing someone who has no idea what their doing, telling me what Im doing is wrong, then the depth alarm is going off, saying less than 3 feet....

jdnca1.... got some info on a solid roller cam?
Old 01-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Have you ever been stuck on the open water? I have....If you have, you will NEVER leave someone out there!!!! If you chose to leave someone out then you deserve the same.....
Old 01-25-2003, 12:37 PM

I have towed, many a boats and Seadoos. Most are always very nice and offer money. I accepted gas money once only because it was a very long tow, and I was out of gas .

As for reason not to tow???, only reason is if I was in unfamiliar water and didn't want to drive back at night?

Will

Quick Reply: Excuses not to tow someone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.