Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   MANATEE'S: When Will It STOP? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41869-manatees-when-will-stop.html)

Sea-Dated 01-24-2003 09:09 PM

MANATEE'S: When Will It STOP?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Slow speed zones to protect manatees from boats will be expanded in four Florida rivers under a new agreement reached between the federal government and environmentalists.
manatee bull****

Steet 01-24-2003 09:27 PM

Hit Man

If I lived in Florida and had to put up with all the bull**** that you boaters do, some people would consider hiring a hit man and kill all the manatees and then you would eliminate the problem that you guys are having. I am not suggesting any illegal activity, but there are ways of fixing problems. You know what I mean.
Just a joke , but think about it. ( Ask Al Capone)

eliminator219 01-25-2003 04:12 AM

Names the same

Outcast,
I gather from this last post that you live in Fl, great! since the name you have picked for your boat also happens to be the name of mine.. There are also a lot of Bobs,Mikes,Bills and a lot more of same names but who they belong to is always different.:D :D So good luck with our name {Southern Area}!!
I'll handle the Yankee part of the country...

eliminator219

salesmanship 01-25-2003 09:07 AM

Yep, right here in river city. I attended the State Commission meeting on thursday. What is going on is that USFWC is trying to avoid being sued by the "benevolent" SMC club. In doing so they are able to ram legislation down our throats without regard to science, boaters rights, economic impacts. The State Commission is very angry with the Feds over this and are trying to regain control over these situations. The State (get this) actually wants to study the areas, go out on the water, get input from all concerned and then make rational decisions. Imagine that! Well the SMC will have no part in such nonsense. After all the only good boat is a dead boat. Our Lee County boating related manatee deaths are down 40% over last year but yesterday new restrictions were applied for that make boating over here as bad as it is on the east coast. I thought manatees were cool once too but not any more. I am not speaking with the narrow mindedness of a hi-performance boater. This will have detrimental impacts on every type of watercraft around with the exception of trawlers. Even blowboaters will be forced into narrower channels making the waterways hazardous for all. And unless the manatee can be taught to read we'll have created a more efficient Kill Zone. We have to fight this!

Allan4 01-25-2003 09:18 AM

Never ceases to amaze me........good luck with these radical wackos, by the way, don't expect them to act on reason, fact or think in practical terms. They have not in the past, they will not start now. GOod luck FLA boaters!!!!!

florida gator 01-25-2003 10:27 AM

Re: Hit Man

Originally posted by Steet
If I lived in Florida and had to put up with all the bull**** that you boaters do, some people would consider hiring a hit man and kill all the manatees and then you would eliminate the problem that you guys are having. I am not suggesting any illegal activity, but there are ways of fixing problems. You know what I mean.
Just a joke , but think about it. ( Ask Al Capone)

Perhaps if we could circulate enough tempting recipes throughout the internet, we could eventually eliminate the problem. Just look what happened with the blackened redfish craze.;)

Steve 1 01-25-2003 10:46 AM

That’s a good thought Gator

We start rumor that Manatee Meat rubbed on the scalp grows Hair Or that it has aphrodisiac qualities.

Seriously though it is rumored that they do taste very Good much better than beef.

In fact talking to a Cuban I worked with; said around his Village in Cuba there were a lot of Manatees untill !! The day one was caught and eaten that was the end of them .

Ric232 01-25-2003 11:20 AM

I'm a Floridian as well. Although I know you are all simply venting and are not serious, unfortunately, this is the kind of talk the environmentalists use against us. I would hope that all of us believe the manatee should be protected, but within reason. The manatee population is fluorishing, so there is no need to get crazy with over-protection. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I don't want to see the elimination of ALL slow speed protection zones. I just think it has been a bit overdone and needs to go no further. I suspect we will get some federal support in the not-too-distant future.

Steet 01-25-2003 01:51 PM

Not Serious????

Ric232, You are correct, just venting, but seriously, you don't think the environmentalist would like us anyway. We own boats.
But they need to realize that it would only take one lunatic that finally has had enough and wipe out the entire population, and no I would not want to see that. Look at some of the abortion idiots. Don't want to kill babies but will burn down buildings and kill doctors. What lunatics. Hopefully, there will be peaceful solution to the problem and both sides will get what they want.

HyperBaja 01-25-2003 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Steve 1
That’s a good thought Gator

We start rumor that Manatee Meat rubbed on the scalp grows Hair Or that it has aphrodisiac qualities.

Seriously though it is rumored that they do taste very Good much better than beef.

In fact talking to a Cuban I worked with; said around his Village in Cuba there were a lot of Manatees untill !! The day one was caught and eaten that was the end of them .

I remember reading on a messageboard: Manatee, the other white meat.

I would love to try some Manatee sometime... :D