Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   used boat values (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41905-used-boat-values.html)

Steve_H 01-25-2003 03:10 PM

used boat values

just wondered how much used boats are marked up on average.
if a boat has an asking price of say 50k could it be actually bought for 40k. im sure alot depends on the boat , market conditions , whether its a brokered boat or individual selling.

i know this is kinda vague but would like some comments or personel experiences with you guys that have bought used boats.

DTH 01-25-2003 07:04 PM

I haven't bought a new one yet. The savings on a 3 to 4 year old boat can be pretty good, just keep throwing out low bids and sooner or later you find somebody in a bind.

wilerty 01-25-2003 10:01 PM

DTH:

I agree with you if you are buying a 3 or 4 year old Chevy Impala. If you're buying a performance boat the condition of the boat and especially who the owner is and how he treated the boat is far more important than a few thousand dollars.

If you have done a proper job of screening to determine what brands, sizes, power, and age boats that you are interested in, then from various sources you can determine the price range those boats should be selling for. Then you should buy the BEST boat within the price range you are looking for. If you just look for the best deal ... you might make a big mistake. JMHO

GO4BROKE 01-26-2003 07:52 AM

Too Old- The toys NEVER go!!! I can sleep in the boat, but I can't take the house to the beach!

Used boat mark up-As much as the traffic will bear.

An yes there is always a bargian, usually 1 hour after I complete a deal.

surfacetension 01-26-2003 08:16 AM

I think the bottom line is condition, If you find a boat that has been Taken care of and is in great shape you may have to step up. I keep my boat on a trailer inside a barn for all but 1 week a year it,s an 1988 and looks like a 98, Don,t get too caught up in book values, if it makes you happy go for it!

Donzi Corleone 01-26-2003 09:08 AM

I agree the GREAT DEALS are usually the boats in dire straits.I have a 2001 22zx Donzi with 230 hrs. and it looks like new in and out not even a scratch on the gel-coat,and if u want it I would expect a fair price because of the condition I kept it in. I would put my next to a 2003 and u could not pick the newer one out!

Pantera1 01-26-2003 12:23 PM

Depreciation = Good deal for me

I dont buy anything new . Plus I like working on vehicles.. So give me that beat up rat some guy paid way too much for ..And is now selling for a song because everyone wants new/shiny..
Especialy boats , as long as the glass is sound everything else is cake..

GLH 01-26-2003 01:00 PM

Timing is also important Fall and winter have always been good buying time for me. Bought a boat last month at 81.25% of asking price

IDRPSTF 01-26-2003 05:05 PM

Find a good broker. Have them compile a list of five boats you want. send out five offers that you feel are an absolute steel in your favor. Aquire a boat. If this does not work. put in a second offer at 1% more. Eventually you will get a boat for the right price.

surfacetension 01-27-2003 08:05 AM

GLH , Burlington? My Dad is from Bristol VT and I have a cousin in Monkton, Where do you boat???