Old 01-26-2003, 09:03 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by JeffGrice
pls take no offense to my comments.

enjoy whatever you have!

J
No offense taken. Just pointing out that it is not always the case, nothing more. Remember, I have a Fountain. So I'm used to it.

Your last line is what it's all about.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll jump on the band wagon for them too. I owned an 84 up until 1988. The only problems I ever had (in 50000 miles) was the digital dash blew out and I had to replace the whole circuit board. And a real PIA trouble that drove me nuts , the damned engine would loose power and then die when it got warm . Seemed to be the fuel pump as I was not getting any gas. Well long story short...it was a $5 fix. The rubber fuel line between the frame and the engine made a 180* bend. When it got warm from engine heat , it would soften and kink.When it cooled off it would firm up and get rounder and allow fuel to go threw .
Other than those two problems I loved the car. But people were forever telling me how bad the 350 "Ceasefire" engine was
I currently have a red 75 convertible / tan top and tan leather interior.It's an original 86000 mile survivor. Gets maybe 500 miles a year
Old 01-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasnt 84 the last year for the crossfire(200hp)? 85 was the 1st year for multi-port (240hp)?
Old 01-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by jmackin
Wasnt 84 the last year for the crossfire(200hp)? 85 was the 1st year for multi-port (240hp)?
Yeap!
Old 01-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my wife a brand new 82 Z28 with the Miss Fire motor and it was a pig. Couldn't take it anymore, put an intake and Holley on it and couldn't beleive how much more power it had. The crossfire intakes are very well known to crack. GM painted the early C4 cars for free if you complained. I think it had to do with the primer or water based paint they used. The same thing with the late 80's Chevy trucks that the paint would peel off. It wasn't something they wanted to tell everyone but it happened. I sent many a customer back to the dealerships for free paint jobs. And I have seen a lot of instument problems with the early C4's. The funny thing is they sold so many of those early cars but you don't see many for sale, and when you do they are cheap!! And plan on buying a new targa top somewhere down the road if you got one. They always seem to crack down the middle for some reason? I own a 68 #"s matching Corvette Conv. so I know what it's like to have a red headed step brother car. FYI, the 64.74,84 vetts have the worst resale value. Must be something to do with the 4 But any Vette is better than no Vette at all. If I had to explain you wouldn't understand.
"Save the wave" Pete
Old 01-26-2003, 10:22 AM
Luxy60

I owned an 85 with SPI. The 84's had multiple quality/ reliability problems. The cross fire injection wasn't a bad system just no balls in the 84, about 205 hp. The HP went up to 230 with introduction of the SPI in 85. I had serious injection system issues with my 85 till I sold it. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. In less than 3 months the entire intake/ injection system was basically replaced. List on the car at the time was just north of $29K. Turned me off of Vette's for a while. The Z suspensions ride very rough. You are better off, and so is the car, with the base suspension. I also bought new an 89 with ZF 6-speed (couldn't stay away, I always loved Vette's - still do). Nice tranny, much better than the 4+3. Car quality improved each year as well as the HP. If I remember the 89 had 245 HP. I'd agree with the advice to find a nice early 90's C4, much improved reliability and reasonable used prices.

Old 01-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an 84 and put serious mileage on it, even towed my Flats Skiff from Fort Lauderdale to Islamorada (Florida Keys) on weekends. This back in the 80’s

No real problem with the car, I kept after the Maintenance and haveing two Brothers in the Vette restoration business doesn’t hurt either.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look for one in the LT1 range
Old 01-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice guys.

Does this help? The 84 is 10K and the 85 is 12K. Both are in mint condition and not abused. I'm not looking to spend 20K on this toy. Also, aren't vettes with sticks easier to sell becuase they are harder to find?

Puder, I'd look like a circus clown riding around in that little car. Sorry, but I want a V8.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

for 20K you could can but a much newer vette. I sold my 94 that was MINT red convertable, 6 speed, tan on tan, 24,000 miles for $22,000. There is a corvette store here in orlando that all they sell is vettes. Rogers corvette center. They sell MANY different year cars from first year to brand new ones. http://www.rogerscorvette.com/
Thats where I got it from. They stand behind the cars they sell and if there is a problem with it the fix it, no questions asked. At times the get a premium price, but the service is second to none.

Quick Reply: OT: Corvette info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.