Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice? >

Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice?

Notices
View Poll Results: Dual batteries or carry a jumper pack
Dual batteries
82.35%
Jumper pack
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice?

Old 06-05-2017, 04:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts
Default Dual batteries or will a booster pack suffice?

My latest ride has a single 496HO and I am surprised it only has a single battery but the engine bay looks super clean and simple, which I really like. One battery, one set of cables and one on/off switch. It will probably be used once a month and we don't have back up like SeaTow so one battery on its own is not wise. The boat only has a modest stereo and no fridge or other things to drain the power.

Obvious answer is to install another battery but rather than complicate everything and have another battery to keep an eye on, would you feel secure with just a good quality booster pack? Carry it onboard at the start of the day and take it home afterwards. Cost isn't the issue, I'm thinking about simplicity in a boat that won't be used a lot. I'm only wanting to cover an emergency start then I'd cut the day short and head home.

Tell me I'm off my nut if you think so, any input is appreciated.

RR
Old 06-05-2017, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you that the 496's like a full charged battery, I'd see how it rides and if it needs weight moved around just mount a second battery. What did you get??
Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for your input, I bough a 27ZR. (I hope it does what I want!)
Battery is on the starboard side, way back almost against the transom. With the dual battery option, the second one is opposite on the port side. Don't think weight distribution would be significant. if I go for dual batteries, I'm sure the port side is the right place.

The boat is still 6 weeks away, it's a long wait..............

RR
Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see any need for a 2nd battery. The jump pack idea seems like a sufficient back-up.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have dual batteries in my 27 ZR. Both are on the starboard side. I also ALWAYS carry a jump box, it has saved myself and others many times.

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-J5C09...anley+jump+box

This is the one I have, motor will start without hesitation.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

It's up to the boat owner......your decision.

A dead/shorted battery that won't accept a charge can be very interesting to try to drive home once started - even with a jump pack attached. Tough with a carbureted engine, brutal with a FI engine.

Last edited by SB; 06-05-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thank you "Torch".
I've seen pics of others with the second battery on the port side. They're always changing things in production so I guess the boat isn't that finely balanced to make a difference.
Im leaning towards the jumper pack at the moment.
Thanks.

RR
Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Do you plan to use the stereo while you are out during the day, docked, rafted, whatever? I'd go with the second battery.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to know the cats out of the bag on what Donzi model you bought, my .02, good choice. With the battery debate it's goes both ways. If I have only one battery I buy the biggest deep cycle j can. I have listened to my sterio at almost max all day on one and it fired up my 440 that had an old starter that wasn't the best. The boat had a second battery I just didn't use it that day because I wanted to see if it would do it. Now my 22 donzi only has 1 battery and I haven't had any issues with it either. As long as your charging system works you should be fine. I would only be worried if I was over nighting on the boat and had something running the whole night. The jump pack should get you started and the alternator should do the rest once running. Just my opinion.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

My Velocity 280 only had one battery, the VR 1 has two. Never had an on the Water problem with either but i really like that I now have a back up battery. Was always going to add a second to the 280 but never did.

padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.