Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Will we go to war with Iraq? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42033-will-we-go-war-iraq.html)

US1 Fountain 01-27-2003 05:49 PM

Wonder what the worlds opinion will be when Iraq uses the very weapons they have said they do not possess?

cuda 01-27-2003 05:54 PM

I think war is inevitable now. We have way too many assets in place to merely rattle the saber. The only thing that can prevent it is the complete capitulation of Saddam.

Saber, I don't recall the US being invited to many middle east birthday parties when Slick was running the country either.

h2owarrior 01-27-2003 05:54 PM

Iraq....it's not if....it's when.

Dave1972 01-27-2003 06:18 PM

This should probably go on it's own thread but speaking of taking care of things at home first.....what the hell happened in Cali after the SuperBowl? What's wrong with these people? We can't even enjoy a good sporting event without some kind of ridiculous behavior happening!

As for Iraq, I agree that we should be swift, direct, and not rest on our laurels and get the job done. In situations like this that we have been involved with before I never understand why we don't do it "Sopranos style" and just have the guy assassinated? Would it really be that difficult to send a group of special forces in with high power rifles and take care of the target?

And yes, I agree that the homeless, unemployment, economic problems are socio-economic in nature and not necessarily specific to our country. Although in times like this I also question why we allow immigrants to come into our country. I realize that freedom is what most are seeking, but it's always been on the back of my mind, especially in times like this.

Whoah...I'm getting pretty deep and not really trying to start a huge discussion about the problems of our country....YIKES!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SABER28 01-27-2003 07:57 PM

dave 1972,

yes, there a lot of problems with this country right now and we have a prez. who seems more interested in a 12 year old grudge than the people in this country facing hard times.

cuda,

clinton did not set the tone with the middle east, it was done about 20 years ago. funny how all the war mongers in this administration have managed to avoid military service, and thus any real experience with the costs of war, or have spent their military time defending such hot spots as georgia from the viet-cong.

BryanTuvell 01-27-2003 08:42 PM

Great thread, and I respect everyones opinion, I won't add mine and try to justify it, no need, so I will just state a couple facts.
9/11 changed us forever. Period.
The last UN resolution said he must disarm, todays report was not promising, all the big UN players voted in favor.

I can tell you, Norfolk Va. is a ghost town, yes, it is a question of when, not if. GWB's speech to the country tomorrow night should be good, maybe a hint on what will come in the future.
Bryan Tuvell
(active duty Navy Officer, 21 years in April 03)

Steve 1 01-27-2003 09:10 PM

Considering the Left is totally responsible for this mess I stand amazed that they even show their Faces.

After March over there it starts to get very warm I look towards the middle of February!

Dano 01-27-2003 09:17 PM

Well in my humble and probably misguided opinion...war sucks period. I have seen it, been around it, and I can tell you everybody LOSES in one way or another.
I have traveled the world pretty extensively and have seen a lot of different cultures and I can tell you one thing nobody wants war (well maybe those crazy tong dudes in Shanghai).

US ground involvement in the middle east will be a huge mistake. The rest of the world better ante up and convince the Iraqi military to act and depose him for OUR on good. One thing everyone seems to forget is that regardless of what we think the reason he was left in power the last time was because of the vacuum created if he was toppled. The aftermath of a NO DOUBT ABSOLUTE MILITARY WIPE-OUT by the US will be far worse...look at the freakin history when we do this stuff...anybody remember Chile, Panama, Argentina, Korea, Sudan, Honduras, Vietnam etc. etc. etc just to name a few? Who the hell is going to control the

The guy is a PUTZ but is he any worse than a 100 other PUTZES running around acting like God? One thing you have to remember is we supported this bastard for years. Where the hell do you think he got this ****? We take him out like this then what? On top of the lives lost on both sides we have to prop whoever we put in. So to add to the HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS we spend kicking his azz we then spend that 10 fold doing maintenance? The US leads by example and the fact that we can/could pretty much vaporize anyone or anything we want simply means with power comes control...don't forget power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. We are a Republic which has a democracy that comes with a price of due diligence.

If we take them out (and I mean all of them, because that ******* probably won't die unless we do...remember the other turbaned gentleman?) use the Neutron bomb and be done with it. At least the familiy members that live won't be blowing themselves up everyplace. Then take the 100's of BILLIONS left and take half for a US TAX PAYER BREAK and the other half and open up a buttload of AMERICAN BUSINESS...we WIN by ASSIMILATION.

Intolerant1 01-27-2003 09:33 PM

Remember when if you won a war that country was yours. I think that ended when began fighting in countries we dont want.

mcollinstn 01-27-2003 09:35 PM

EITHER/OR

Either Saddam Disarms
OR
We go to war.

Bush Sr. royally fked up by letting the whining UN hand-wringers shame him into leaving the job undone. You DONT fight a WAR and then leave the enemy intact. Diplomacy is a wonderful tool for heightened negotiations and second chances. WARS are not for second chances.

As far as the UN, the whining feys were never on the same wavelength going into this inspection ordeal. They were never prepared to sign their name to military action. They had far prefer to back away and wave their hands while we do the dirty work for them.

STEWARDSHIP of the economy? You gotta be kidding me ! ?
Here, Saber, my boat is sinking. Big hole in the hull. No patch. It;s all yours. Be a good steward. (Course these discussions have been proven to go nowhere good since you are thorougly convinced that GW singlehandedly managed to swing the dynamic momentum of the entire US economy to the bad in 2 and a half weeks).

North Korea? Diplomacy has not yet been proven to be ineffective. You always gotta "diplomacize" first. Gotta give it plenty of opportunity to offer a bettering situation. Only when diplomacy fails must war be considered. When diplomacy AND WAR both fail, and resumed diplomacy continues to fail, then WAR is the obvious solution.

Do I LIKE this? No.
Do I understand that it must/should take place? Of course.

War is expensive and I expect it to be far from a boost for our ailing economy. I'm truly sorry that some of Saber's government assist programs he is so fond of may suffer budgeting troubles. The poor illegal border-crossing Mexican unwed mothers may not be given their own 900 square foot house in which to raise her illegitimate streetgang-to-be family of eight.

And woe be unto the country if some business owner saves enough money in corporate taxes that he is allowed to weather the economic slump and continue to provide good American jobs making good quality American products to his 235 employees that would otherwise be standing in the soup lines that Saber is so happy to see the government provide.

I only hope that this time the US military is allowed to finish the job so we can move to the next chapter.