11.45%
Didn't watch/Don't care
13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: State Of The Union Address

Old 01-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone notice how chummy Lieberman and Hillary were ?? HHHMMMMmmmmm....Hillary for Veep in '04?? If for no other reason than to start getting her out in the limelight and set the stage for '08??

I hope so, as that would virtually guarantee a Dubya victory in '04.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:52 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I think George W. is the right man for the right times as Reagan was for the eighties. It's refreshing for once to hear a politician talk like the common man on the american street and speak "tough" towards countries deserving of blunt statements. The alternative would be smoke up the stern and feel good lies about how we're gonna save the poor man etc. etc.

I really get sick thinking what we'd be doing and what he'd be saying had Gore won the election....

Oh, and one last thought....Gary Locke?! Washington state what are you thinking?!! What a dweeb!!!!!

Last edited by Reckless32; 01-29-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

rich peopel don't as much in taxxes yes they get hit but when you haev significant income you also get a financial planner tohanndle asset allocation who figures out the best way for you to pay eth least amount of tax possible.
jeesh, puder, are you kidding me?
Did Hillary convince you of this one?

I'll give you the bit about some big earners having special folk to help them minimize their taxes. Here's some news, though, they don't work for free - be sure you add their fees to the big earner's tax bill. Furthermore, unlike twenty or so years ago, there just ARENT many functional tax shelters left anymore.

Get this: You know the child credit stuff? Big earners get NO child tax credit.
You know the personal deductions: Big earners get their personal deductions phased out with increased income.
You know the personal EXEMPTIONS? Yep, they go away, too.
You know handy things like IRAs in which to shelter some of your income for later use? Big earners can't put pretax money in - at all.
That primarily leaves 'em with
a) dropping all their liquid assets into municipal bonds which pay out tax free dividends in the 2 percent range (which are available to ANYBODY, I might add).
b) cheating on their taxes by employing their infants and pets in the family business to maximize tax bracket runs.
OR
c) buying go-fast boats to keep their mind off the incredible tax burden they must pay.

I hate to harp at you, but the graduated tax bracketing system and its phase-outs is a criminally-devised robbery plan. I simply can't watch you post your "it's not fair to the average guy whole its so fair for the Bill Gates'es" drivel without responding. Sorry.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:16 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally posted by Too Old
I thought the speach was very good. Not great, but very good.

Some comments after reading others posted comments.

Some of you were critical about lack of details. How much detail can be compressed into a one hour State of the Union address? Not much. There simply isn't the time.

Comments were made about how the president speaks and his appearing animated. Who cares? I want a leader not a TV sensation. I think we have a president that IS a leader.

About the Democrats sitting on their hands. What else is new. Partisan politics as usual. If it were a Democratic president, the Republicans would be sitting still too.

I saw some grumbling about not taxing dividends. Why? Do you believe everything should be taxed twice? Whether you own stock or not, it's the right thing to do. Is there more that can be done? Certainly.

Strom Thurmon a Nazi? Nah....just an old segregationist. He's retired and been regarded as a joke for years now by most everyone but the old loyalists of South Carolina.

The president didn't make the case for war? How much detail should he release to make his case? We aren't privy to all the facts. Nor should we be. Anyone who has served in the military and had a security clearence is familiar with the term "the need to know." It certainly has relevance here.
Fred, very well put.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:28 AM
RickerTX

War in Iraq.....yea right.... more like five days of bombing and GAME OVER! It won't be anything like Desert Storm much less another Vietnam. Get real people. About the rest of his speech, as good or better than any other SOTU speeches other politicians give. I do think W is sincere however. BTW, my son is in the NAVY and will gladly help take Iraq of the map.

Old 01-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally posted by mcollinstn
jeesh, puder, are you kidding me?
Did Hillary convince you of this one?

I'll give you the bit about some big earners having special folk to help them minimize their taxes. Here's some news, though, they don't work for free - be sure you add their fees to the big earner's tax bill. Furthermore, unlike twenty or so years ago, there just ARENT many functional tax shelters left anymore.

Get this: You know the child credit stuff? Big earners get NO child tax credit.
You know the personal deductions: Big earners get their personal deductions phased out with increased income.
You know the personal EXEMPTIONS? Yep, they go away, too.
You know handy things like IRAs in which to shelter some of your income for later use? Big earners can't put pretax money in - at all.
That primarily leaves 'em with
a) dropping all their liquid assets into municipal bonds which pay out tax free dividends in the 2 percent range (which are available to ANYBODY, I might add).
b) cheating on their taxes by employing their infants and pets in the family business to maximize tax bracket runs.
OR
c) buying go-fast boats to keep their mind off the incredible tax burden they must pay.

I hate to harp at you, but the graduated tax bracketing system and its phase-outs is a criminally-devised robbery plan. I simply can't watch you post your "it's not fair to the average guy whole its so fair for the Bill Gates'es" drivel without responding. Sorry.
One more thing to ponder. The overall amount of tax paid by the upper 2% is staggering. I believe it is unfair to penalize someone for succeeding financially. A fair taxation yes, but graduated taxation?????? Anyone who has been through this process knows how truly frustrating it can be.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

America was founded on the belief the new land was gonna provide individuals with the liberty to pursue happiness in whichever fashion they so desired (without infringing upon others rights) and practice religion the same way. In blunt terms it's every man for himself otherwise known as freedom. There will always be better men and there will always be lesser men and/or women. It's a free society where folks have the right to succeed or fail. Taxation should absolutely be equal irregardless that one made better choices than the other, or worked harder than the other, or saved better than the other. That's called individual responsibility....etc. etc.

I like the idea of either a flat 15% or possibly a consumption tax. If we keep it the same, I'm for tax reduction and make the localities, states, and federal government get fiscally smarter by learning what the military did several years ago....Learn to be efficient by doing more with less.....

Alright, I'm jumping off this box now....

Last edited by Reckless32; 01-29-2003 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Default Go getem W

Go getem W
Attached Files
Old 01-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Registered

For a while I didnt think it was the President, but the line about the terrorists "we dont have to worry about any more" wouldnt be said by any other president. Seems like the tax stuff will help the economy, maybe the Dow will go up another 99 points today
Old 01-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya know, George isn't perfect but I thought the speech was good. He is a good speaker, it got me pretty pumped up for a little while. He's a tough guy and we need a tough guy. We're tough guys!!! Dammit - we're Americans!!! If we want to kick Saddam's ass because we don't like him or his policies - well, then we're gonna kick his ass, period!

I'm sick of namby pamby word mincing diplomatic bullcrap!! George spells it out pretty clearly, "don't frig with us". We are the big dogs in this world, and if the rest of the world is uneasy about that..............tough sh!t!!!!

Saddam is a piece of crap, bully, troublemaker, piss ant. Take him out. I'm convinced that my big blocks will be cheaper to run post-Saddam.

Quick Reply: Poll: State Of The Union Address

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.