Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many trucks freezing up in the cold ? >

How many trucks freezing up in the cold ?

Notices

How many trucks freezing up in the cold ?

Old 01-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many trucks freezing up in the cold ?

I've had a dozen guys call me in the last 3 days including my brother . Most guys thought their motors blew up ! Turns out the diesel froze in the lines and filters . Most diesel you buy is trash ! The only safe place to buy from in the winter in my opinion is either Hess or a Pilot, Petro, or Flying J truck stop . NO WHERE ELSE ! None of the fuel conditioners are working either ! My tow truck guy just told me he towed 45 diesels this week and almost all of them had some sort of conditioner in them and still froze ! I have researched this for some time for our fleat and the best I see is made by a company call diesel specialties (or something like that ,can't remember now !) And second is Howes or hues or something like that .Can't remember either one now ! Both are mostly availible at truck stops . I havent' seen them anywhere else .

SO , Anyone else haveing this problem too?

You florida guys don't count !!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been using a product called POWER SERVICE in our class 8 trucks for years. No problems at all. Yesterday was -12 here when I went to work.

Do the smaller Diesels (Powerstokes etc.) use fuel heaters?
Old 01-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been about 6 degrees here for the past few mornings. I get about 15 seconds of "romp, romp" and smokey exhaust, then she is fine. 1999 PSD
Old 01-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I thought that all winter diesel was conditioned. We'll find out this weekend, as I have to use the truck. Wonder how bad she'll smoke.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Registered

ahhh...as most of you know i work at ford in development....i have had a fuel pump problem with my PSD...i do hear people having fuel problem in the cold (they think). Some may know that the ford uses oil to fire the injectors...when it's very cold outside the oil is so thick it's unable to fire the injectors...i use rottella oil....works great most of the time....when i go ice climbing there are NO areas to plug in and the temps are low (this week was -34 no wind chill)....so i have to put 3 qts of mobil 1 in the mix. the 3-4 qts of mobil 1 have eliminated ALL of my cold starts...seems people's first thought on a crank no start diesel is always fuel. with the ford PSD it may not be the case!

ken...try this...it will ELIMINATE the "romp, romp and smoke"
ENJOY!

Last edited by audacity; 01-24-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Registered

Mika ,you got it ! POWER SERVICE ! Thats it . I don't know where I got that other name from ........

PLaces tell you it is conditioned but I have found it to be bull ! I know the guys that haul the fuel to all the local places and they just laugh !

The trucks will normaly start but they freeze up while driving . PLan ahead ! It sucks to be on the side of the road !

My brother is on the side 100 miles from home right now ! Been there all day ..........
Old 01-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Registered

the ford psd pre heats the fuel so it would have to freeze prior to that. also the fuel line mod may help as well with reducing airation.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Registered

Hey audacity, Good point ! Didn't think of that one .....
Can you mix sinthetic (SP) and regular ?

The only thing I wonder about that is ,,,, The trucks have been running for hours ! The oil is hot .........

Also , My John deere tractor and my case back hoe don't use oil to pump fuel .they are mechanical and they are frozen too . They are the only ones I had local bought fuel and NAPA brand conditioners in . THanks ,JOE
Old 01-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Registered

Hey audacity, If your "working " for ford , What are you doing on here ?? THe day aint over yet !! OH yeah , I'm working too !!! BEtter go now !!
Old 01-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Registered

I have a 1995 PSD and when it gets below 20 the manual says to run #1....it's been that cold and colder here lately and I plug it in at night drive it to work and let it sit all day,10- 12 hours, start it back up and drive it home, I always buy my fuel from a truck type stop station that moves a lot of it,....haven't had any problems in the past three winters,....Fred

Quick Reply: How many trucks freezing up in the cold ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.