Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shipping motor from CA to FL (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42240-shipping-motor-ca-fl.html)

Johno 01-30-2003 10:13 AM

Shipping motor from CA to FL

Need to ship a 502 from CA to FL, anybody know of good shipping Co. they could recommend?
Thanks John

nitro 01-30-2003 10:27 AM

When I ship motors to skater we use Central Freight. The owners are big boaters (Ron Moise owns Magic/Sleekcraft Boats and his brother is Swift Trucking). Be sure to use heavy plywood when you build a shipping box.

ChrisK 01-30-2003 10:30 AM

Im looking in to shipping a bike from ohio to FL right now. I found Forward Air from the suggestion of a fellow OSO'r.. You can book everything online and they might even give you an estimate online.

Cord 01-30-2003 10:49 AM

WWW.HIGHWAYFREIGHT.COM

Biggus 01-30-2003 10:55 AM

I have used Forward Air many times, shipping and recieving. Thier service is great. Fast and damage free. And thier prices can`t be beat!

They are the cheapest around for shipping a motorcycle, they even provide the crate.

GregP 01-30-2003 11:39 AM

www.abfs.com - select single time shipper and get the internet rate.

-Greg

THEJOKER 01-30-2003 01:18 PM

JUST HELPING

Here are some helpful tips for shipping motor freight.

1. Use a Direct carrier. Interlines will cost you more money and will delay your shipment. ABF , YELLOW for long haul shipments. Regionally there are dozens of good carriers in your area.

2. Get atleast a 50 % discount off the freight rate. 65 % is obtainable.

3. Make sure your shipment is packaged properly. Ship engines on a 4 way pallet. Bolt it to the pallet , shrink wrap it and nothing should be hanging off of the skid. Class is 85.

4. Ship to a business if possible. Residential shipments cost more, liftgate , etc.

5. Never put CALL BEFORE DELIVERY on the bill of lading. That'll be an extra charge. FOR CARRIER CONVIENCE PLEASE CALL will cost you zero. Be sure you fill out the Bill of lading correctly. Bills are rated from zip to zip , weight and classification. The billing clerk is doing the billing at 2:00 am and he doesn't know you from squat. When the bill of lading has missing information or wrong class , they'll throw it in a pile of problem bills or make up the information.

Just some hints that will save you some bucks and headaches.

BH

sgrady 01-30-2003 03:01 PM

What is the timeline for the shippment ?

THEJOKER 01-30-2003 04:14 PM

CA to FL - figure 5 working days. Carriers move freight 7 days a week but do not count Sat - Sun in their transit times - BH

sgrady 01-30-2003 04:21 PM

I understand, in the business. Was asking when he needed it there. That decides who to use. My .02