Notices

New Blowers...........

Old 02-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a buddy of mine is selling a used twin 420 b&m setup. i'll find out what he wants for it and the details of what is included.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Registered

OBNOXUS21 .. HAVE HAD A PROCHARGER ON MY MARIAH. IT WAS OK. HAD A LITTLE LAG WHEN YOU KICKED IT IN THE ASS BUT NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH IT. BUT LOOKS AND PERFORMANCE I LIKE THE ROOTS TYPE BLOWER SYSTEMS NO MATTER WHAT BRAND YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH. WORK PARTTIME AT THE MARINA AT CLINTON IN THE SUMMER TIME. USUALLY HAVE A COVERED SLIP. MAKES IT REAL EASY TO GO TO THE LAKE THAT WAY. MY HTM HAS BRANDYWINE FLAMES TIPPED IN GOLD. CAN ALWAYS FIND ME AT THE CLINTON OR PERRY ON THE WEEKENDS. ONCE A MONTH AT LOTO IN THE SUMMER. HAVE A CONTACT HERE IN HAWKVILLE REAL GOOD ON BLOWER KNOWLEDGE. LETS HAVE A BREW OR TWO, CAN ALWAYS FIND TIME TO TALK BOATS. WILL WATCH THE GAME ON TV. WORKING MIDNITES RIHGT NOW SO WOULDN'T HAVE TIME TO GO AND GET TO WORK.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by joeyoffshore
Stock 525's with Blower Shop 250's, carbs reworked by Nickerson to stage 5 mods, (1280cfm) v6 ignition modules, set timing to 32 deg. at full advance. I picked up 10mph in a 38 Cig. with 5#'s of boost.
Nice clean looking set up
Old 02-03-2003, 05:32 PM
bobby daniels

Originally posted by OBNOXUS21
PARTYHAWK.....yea I am usually having two or three or...........
Are you going to the MU game? I will be in the (Field) House
Is your HTM a 24 w/ some blue on it? It was either yours or KCHOTBOAT's I saw at Clinton a couple years ago. Where do you usually boat at?

BTW, my motors are rated at 500hp, I would get innercoolers regardless, but are the 420 Mega's the way or Procharger as few have suggested to me?

I had been throwing around the idead of blowers, since I got the boat and realized it was the cheapest way to get me in the 80mph range without new drives and N.A. motors. I have TRS and the guy before me had the same set-up.

I just don't want to sacrifice reliability, so how much boost would I want to run and would I have to do alot of "tinkering" having the blowers?

thanks for some input as I will be doing this before the upcoming season!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey the 420 is fast ,BUT ITS LIKE ALL OTHER ROOTS BLOWERS THEIR 65 TO 70% EFF. AND A PROCHARGER IS 80+ THE ROOTS WOULD NOT NO WERE THE WHIPPLE, PROCHARGER,OR VORTEC
WENT ,PERIOD ,BUT THE 420 IS A GREAT KILLER CHOICE ,NOT THE 250 ITS TO SMALL FOR YOU
BLOWN 1500 AND I WORK TOGATHER SO LET US KNOW WHAT YOU NEED

Last edited by bobby daniels; 02-03-2003 at 05:38 PM.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Registered

BOBBY DANIELS------------------------------------------------------

I am a little confused, but are you say to go w/ the Pro Charger/Vortec type charger? I am a little confused with what you said, sorry. The procharger is 80% efficient? A couple other people suggested the procharger.

Thanks.

P.S. Looks like 525sc and I will have to have a little "fun" run at LOTO this summer
Old 02-03-2003, 07:18 PM
bobby daniels

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION THE PROCHARGER///// VORTEC AND WHIPPLE WILL ALL OUT RUN THE ROOTS TYPE BLOWERS AND ARE ALOT MORE EFFICENT !!!THE ROOTS ARE LIKE 420,,,250,,,8-71-ECT
YOU CAN GET A GREAT DEAL ON THE ROOTS TYPE ,THE OTHERS COST MORE BUT WILL FLY !!!!!!

Old 02-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Centrifugal blowers out flow roots at high RPM's, roots far outflows at low RPM's. Depends how strong a holeshot you need.
I think centrifugal is easier on the drive, but roots looks much cooler!
Old 02-03-2003, 08:24 PM
blown1500

Hello, Guys!
The blower you need is contingent on many factors. I don't know enough of them yet.
The Bravo outdrives have started having problems for me with about 750 ft lbs. Some can take more with the right modifications. That is not my area of expertise, though I have seen a few.....
The most efficient blower known to man is a turbocharger. They are big bucks and must be right on to work.
Next in line are the screw chargers(Whipples) and the centrifugal (Pro Charger, Vortech, etc.). Of the roots type, if the B&M is the correct size for what you need, they usually win. All the other roots types are less efecient. I have had the best luck on roots other than B&M with Littlefields. Most of the others are good, and not too far behind. " Your results may vary". Teflon strips and other things help determine which is best as do tolerances-a few are pretty bad, but most are fine.
Between the Whipples and Pro Chargers, they both make about the same maximum power on the same engine, same boost, etc. The Whipple makes a lot more boost and power at a lower rpm. The Whipple will make boost as soon as you hit the throtle no matter how low you go and run from there. The centrifugals can make good power from a low rpm, but their boost is very rpm dependent. If you can take the low speed torque hit, the Whipple will win. If you need a gentler low end, the centrifugal will make a gradual increase untill at the top end, they will run with the Whipple.
The carburetion is very important also. I have worked on 250 B&M's with Dominators, but the 850 #4781 with boost reference or the new Holley blower ready carbs seem to do better. Two very small 4v carbs are even better. If you have to have the "look" of the roots, in the case that started this thread, I would look for a 420 B&M. Cam, heads, and exhaust are critical to max out the system, but just the blower will make for a big improvement!!
There are so many factors, heads, displacement, stroke(not the same effect as displacement) CAM, HEADS, exhaust, many more.
Your best bet is to figure out the torque you need in any circumstance and make an engine to do that. If anyone wants more than this, pm and I'll gladly find a way to communicate with you

Last edited by blown1500; 02-04-2003 at 06:56 AM.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Registered

if your interested in 2 complete new 420 mega set ups, i have them for sale, i need to have $6500.00 for them. you can e-mail me @ [email protected]