Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gauges Elec. or Mech.? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42549-gauges-elec-mech.html)

lukiepal 02-03-2003 07:10 PM

Gauges Elec. or Mech.?

If you were riging a new race boat would you use all mechanical gauges or all electrical gauges?

Audiofn 02-03-2003 08:48 PM

I would go electric but if I suspected anything funny I would swap over to the mechanicals to test.

Jon

blown1500 02-03-2003 08:54 PM

Pros and cons for either. The new electrics are pretty good and you don't have to run hoses, etc. The temp guages will almost have to be electric unless your helm is very close to the engines. I do NOT trust the electrics. I have put many in and they ALMOST always work great. I also like to install at least mechanical back up guages, in the bilge in a location they can be easily observed with the hatch open, for the oil and maybe the fuel pressures. Do NOT run any hoses carrying fuel outside the engine bay!!!
Think of being on fire and having gasoline sprayed on you:eek:

lukiepal 02-03-2003 09:50 PM

Thanks, I was told to keep the fuel pres, oil pres. and oil temp. mechanical, just in case the line broke, but what about the water press. i would think after a race a lot of water could get in the boat.

paradigm shift 02-03-2003 10:10 PM

I would run electrical and if you feel the need put mechanical gauges in engine compartment as a back up. The new electrical gauges a pretty reliable. Wiring - connection issues probably happen more often than gauge failures. Just my 02. :)

lukiepal 02-03-2003 10:18 PM

Thanks, but the cost of runing 2 sets for each engine one on the dash and one in the engine compartment. UFAHA!!! thats a lot of stamps.

blown1500 02-04-2003 06:51 AM

Mechanical backup guages aren't very expensive and are important. Most boats I do have some mechanical backup with electric guages on the dash except the water pressure which is mechanical. Strongly recommend no mechanical guages for anything that will burn!!!!! Also, the mechanical water temp probe will have to be very long in most boats and the longer it is the more prone to errors. I recommend talking to some of the successful teams and riggers out there. Most boaters are more than willing to help and I would trust someone with the hands-on experience.

Cord 02-04-2003 09:19 AM

If it's a race boat, I'd go mechanical. Fewer things to go wrong. If it's something that I'm doing myself, I'd go electric. Electrics are easier to install and result in a cleaner installation. The mechanicals also have 270* of sweep to the needle whereas most electrics only have 90*. There are a few electrics out there with 270*. They are available from the non Livorski Gaffrig.