Notices

Texas Sales Tax

Old 02-05-2003, 08:59 AM
DallasHeat

Default Re: Texas Sales Tax

Originally posted by scarabfan
Seriously, I did get a letter from the Texas State Comptrollers office asking for proof of sales tax on my documented boat.
They must have an arrangement with the coast guard or someone that reports to them. It was a good thing that I had the receipt! I am suprised that they don't start searching all marinas, that would be interesting!
When I documented mine, the bonding agent the bank uses sent me a form to fill out. I sent the form and a cheque to Austin before the 20 days grace period, if you miss the 20 days you have to pay a 10% penalty I think.

Old 02-05-2003, 09:04 AM
DallasHeat

Default Re: Texas Sales Tax

Originally posted by scarabfan
Seriously, I did get a letter from the Texas State Comptrollers office asking for proof of sales tax on my documented boat.
They must have an arrangement with the coast guard or someone that reports to them. It was a good thing that I had the receipt! I am suprised that they don't start searching all marinas, that would be interesting!
Sorry, I misunderstood your post, Have you already sent in your State tax payment? Did they ask you to prove that you had paid it?

DallasHeat

Old 02-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by catmando
You mean on Lake Lewisville?
That's the one! I don't care fo much of anything else from there, just the breaskfasts!!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Registered

I bought my boat in Texas and paid the sales tax then. I never received a letter wanting more tax.

If you buy your boat in another state and register it in Texas, then Texas wants its "pound of flesh"!
Old 02-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Dallas Heat

Dallas Heat, I paid my sales tax to the dealer when I purchased my boat, so I had my paid tax receipt to send to the state tax office. I have also heard of the local school taxing board looking at the list of boat tennants at the local marinas so they can charge property tax.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:33 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys should move fiscally to FL,DE,NV or NH
Old 02-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Registered

I think texas is finding people when you get your clean water sticker. This is the only way they know I have a boat.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Registered

Sea Ray Jim,

I don't think they are serving breakfast yet. I sure do miss the bloddy marys!!
Old 02-05-2003, 07:05 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My $0.02,
If the legislation in Texas is that you still have to register a boat at the state level even tough it is documented with the coast guard, it has to be done. Period. (New Hampshire is like that, fortunately NH does not have a sales tax so all you have to pay is the registration fee $122.50/yr for 35 Cig) If you do not register it at the state level you are breaking the tax laws of TX and if they catch you they will charge the tax, penalty and I would expect interest on the missing funds. And I am sure that if they calculate it warrants the efforts fiscally (meaning enough people are doing it) they will get the information from either the coast guard, trailer registrations, trailer inspections, marine operator requirements, boat inspections... or any and all other ways at there unlimitedly funded disposition. 1/2
Old 02-05-2003, 07:06 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2/2 Not doing it is for you guys to assess the risks like any other time one tries to stretch (not to say break) the tax laws. I would suggest estimating what the amount represents and see if it is not worth declaring yourself a resident of a more tax friendly state (this also costs money) however a state like FL or NH does not have sales tax to apply on the toys you purchase (BOATS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE TOYS as we all know here) and STATE income tax which can be an ASTRONOMIC amount. I use to live in Vermont and still have my house there but my legal residence and home is now in NH the fiscal difference pays for all the expenses that are generated by this home and then some. I do not earn that much relatively speaking (it's easy VT state taxes were approximately 25% of my federals, you calculate that and put it in your pockets and it adds up FAST) of course all this as to be done and fit within the bounds of the law. As Gene Hackman says about tax laws in "The Firm" "- I want you to go as far as you can bending them without breaking them" words to file by!!!
I would say good luck but with taxes I would try to keep the luck to a minimum.

I would verify everything with a COMPETENT tax attorney or accountant of course, as I am not one. (The normal disclaimer Crap)

Last edited by GLH; 02-05-2003 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Texas Sales Tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.