Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Texas Sales Tax (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42634-texas-sales-tax.html)

sightunseen 02-04-2003 07:10 PM

Texas Sales Tax

Did any get a leter from the state of Texas wanting their sales tax from a documented boat?:mad:

liquid asset 02-04-2003 07:22 PM

did you?

Dredgeking 02-04-2003 07:56 PM

keep two eyes on texas. they nail you on vehicles. that's why my stuff is registered in MI or WI

liquid asset 02-04-2003 08:06 PM

they can't tax you if they don't know you bought it, someone (slalom shop) must have reported it

Sea-Min 02-04-2003 08:11 PM

I have heard of several cases that they State has asked for receipts on the sales tax.

Just register your boat in Willmington DE nad don't worry about sales tax

FormulaFan 02-04-2003 08:32 PM

register in delaware?

I think that only works if you have a Donzi!!!!

SeaRay Jim 02-04-2003 08:44 PM

If I remember right, Joe said you bought it in another state. Did you register it in Texas when you bought it? I'm not familiar with a documented boat process so that may not even have anything to do with it.

We bought ours in Okla. so to register and get it titled in Texas, we had to pay sales tax then. Actualy, the bank that financed it processed the doc's and we had to pay it then. We had hell with the trailer but once we finally got it titled, we declared it at like $200 value, but still had to pay sales tax on that. But again, our's isn't documented so I may be way off.

By the way, really off topic but is Charlie's serving breakfast on the weekends yet? We're hoping to get our boat back in the next couple weeks and for some reason, I'm craving breakfast at Charlie's. Oh, and Joe said he owes me a Bloody Mary! :D

FormulaFan 02-04-2003 08:44 PM

Texas Sales Tax

Seriously, I did get a letter from the Texas State Comptrollers office asking for proof of sales tax on my documented boat.
They must have an arrangement with the coast guard or someone that reports to them. It was a good thing that I had the receipt! I am suprised that they don't start searching all marinas, that would be interesting!

LakeRacer 02-05-2003 12:17 AM

I have a friend in Texas who just told me that the State has asked him for proof of sales tax.

Documentation is public record and someone/state could ask for all boats documented with a Texas address (or something to that affect.) Then the State sends out the notices.

Jana 02-05-2003 07:03 AM

I paid mine when I got the Fountain and haven't been bothered since. (BTW - I waited to get my documentation papers in hand and they charged me a tax penalty because it was "too long" after I actually bought the boat. :confused: )