Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   '99 f350 PSD x cab short bed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/42651-99-f350-psd-x-cab-short-bed.html)

Indy 02-05-2003 08:19 AM

Thanks fishead...how cold was it when you finally started it? Mine was sitting in Hartford, CT for a week when it was below 0 every night :eek: I will keep your trick in mind the next time I get stuck ;)

wannabe 02-05-2003 08:28 AM

Mopower,

The diesel will pull the 29 ft with no problem. Troutly was right, check the build date. Early 99's had brake and front suspension problems(tie-rods, bushings, etc wear out quickly).

Remember with the Big 3 giving $ 2500 off new trucks the used price should be lower than the blue book.

Wannabe

Indy 02-05-2003 10:07 AM

How can you tell if it's a 99 or 99.5?

Pure Energy 02-05-2003 01:18 PM

Mopower, it is the one with the small back seat and suicide doors with the 8' bed. It has truelly been a great truck.

mopower 02-05-2003 02:25 PM

Ken,
No, its got the small back seat and short bed (it says 6 3/4 bed).
I would really rather have 4 REAL doors and a back seat...the short bed is fine with me. Trouble is the damned thing is sharp looking and it is super clean:rolleyes: .

Chart 02-05-2003 05:25 PM

Your wheelbase should be a little longer than an Excursion or a Suburban, and would you think twice about pulling your boat with one of them?

mopower 02-05-2003 06:13 PM

Hell , I'm using a Tahoe now and getting by. I just want to make sure of this before I spend the money. I mean its not like I can take it home and hook up the boat and give it a try this time 'o year. :(
I guess it could have a longer wheel base than a Burban or "X" but the short cab gives you an optical dilussion:D :D

Pure Energy 02-05-2003 07:18 PM

Mopower,

I'm saying my truck has the small back seat and 8' bed. The 4 door shortbed (6 3/4') that you are looking at is about the same length as mine.

fishead 02-06-2003 07:17 AM

I was in Atlanta and it was getting down to 10 degrees during the night and below freezing the rest of the day.It was still below freezing when it started.

Jayl13 02-06-2003 07:58 AM

Cal, you will be fine
Before I got my 2003 F350 I pulled my baja with a 90 F350 single rear wheel regular cab and 8 foot box, wheel base is probably same give or take an inch.
I towed from Connecticut to Philly doing about 70 or so on GSP and across tappanzee bridge ect and had no sway problems or anything. that was with a 460 Pig gas motor
the diesel will do you good, makes it easier to get your boat out of the hole from a dead stop and up the ramps
Is it a 4x4 or 2WD?
I personally (this is my OPINION guys) think that a 2wd truck is a waste of money, being up here, with some snow and once in a while goofy rain storms and strange situations, nice to have a 4x4.
Very rarely do you find a super duty in decent shape used so if you do I would be on it if the price was right and it 150% suits ALL of your needs
I do not however feel the back seat in the king cabs is all that great, yes you can put people back there but their knees are half way up the poop chute!
That is why I opted for the super crew cab myself.
Yeah and NJ is real ugly about the duallys being in weight class 99 and wack you at the tolls!
You tow your boat evertime you go out Cal?
If so, how far to the ramp?
and lastly, your not giving up the red pickup toy for this are you?
cause I would HEAVILY reconsider if you are thinking about getting rid of the Chevy short bed that thing is way too kick ass to let go.
J